Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by lucmonc <lu...@libero.it> on 2007/03/09 10:28:37 UTC

Bayes Newbie Help

Hi, i'm a spamassassin newbie that has just setup it on our server following
the very good and simple tutorial at
http://www.stearns.org/doc/spamassassin-setup.current.html

After 10 days of good test (anything is working ok) i tried to setup the
"Shared whitelist and bayes databases and autoreporting addresses"

My problem is that we use Goldmine CRM as mail cllient and that his Message
Redirect function rewrite almost completely the header leaving only the
original "subject" and part of the "from" fields.

Below is an example of a spam message redirected to my gmail account:

ORIGINAL SPAM HEADER
-------------------------------------
Oggetto : was at experiment
Data : Fri, 9 Mar 2007 08:28:00 +0100
Da : "Mac Richard" <we...@fivearea.com>
A : <myaddress>

REDIRECTED SPAM HEADER
-------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:10:22 +0100
From: "Mac Richard" <we...@fivearea.com> (thru myadress.com)
Subject: was at experiment
To: <lu...@gmail.com>

As i can't change how Goldmine rewrite redirected message headers, how can i
use safely the whitelist and bayes autoreporting addresses using correctly
the ""bayes_ignore_header" command ?

Thanks for your help
LM

Re: [2] Bayes Newbie Help

Posted by Nick Leverton <nj...@leverton.org>.
On Friday 09 March 2007 17:44, lucmonc wrote:
> Thanks John for help, but Goldmine access the mail server with POP3 not
> IMAP. Messages are then stored in the Goldmine own sql database.
> Therefore your solution can't be used in our system.

Our sales force use Goldmine and (assuming it hasn't corrupted its own
database on that day), when they forward stuff onto us Goldmine discards
the whole of the message headers just as you say.  It also forwards only
the rendered form of the message body and I suspect that is all it stores.
I get the impression its customer email tracking was a badly bolted-on
afterthought to sales phone call tracking and sales notes.

Ours is on a system I don't have access to, but maybe you can see if there
is anything usable in the DB which you could write a script to extract.

I think you will probably have to keep a separate copy of all incoming mail
though.  If you have a support contract with whoever sells it, maybe you
could ask them to help in extracting un-mangled mail ?

Nick

Re: [2] Bayes Newbie Help

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, lucmonc wrote:

> Thanks John for help, but Goldmine access the mail server with
> POP3 not IMAP.  Messages are then stored in the Goldmine own sql
> database. Therefore your solution can't be used in our system.

There is another possibility that may: does Goldmine expose its
mailboxes using a standard protocol (typically and hopefully IMAP)?

If so, you may be able to use a method that is common with Exchange:
set up shared (public) train-spam and train-ham folders that users can
move messages to, and that the SA host can access remotely via IMAP.

There have been a lot of discussions here about doing this with
Exchange;  it may work for you as well.

  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute
  an emergency on my part.                 -- David W. Barts in a.s.r
 2 days until Daylight Saving Time begins in U.S. - Spring Forward

Re: [2] Bayes Newbie Help

Posted by lucmonc <lu...@libero.it>.
Thanks John for help, but Goldmine access the mail server with POP3 not IMAP.
Messages are then stored in the Goldmine own sql database.
Therefore your solution can't be used in our system.

LM

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, lucmonc wrote:

> My problem is that we use Goldmine CRM as mail cllient and that
> his Message Redirect function rewrite almost completely the header
> leaving only the original "subject" and part of the "from" fields.

Is there a possibility of setting up a mail folder on the server that
users can just move the messages to? Moving and copying messages
between folders typically does not mangle them.

Broad outline: if the mail stays on the server and is accessed via
IMAP, then set up a spam-training and ham-training folder in each
user's account, and have them copy or move messages to those folders.
SA can then learn from them directly.

Re: Bayes Newbie Help

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, lucmonc wrote:

> My problem is that we use Goldmine CRM as mail cllient and that
> his Message Redirect function rewrite almost completely the header
> leaving only the original "subject" and part of the "from" fields.

Is there a possibility of setting up a mail folder on the server that
users can just move the messages to? Moving and copying messages
between folders typically does not mangle them.

Broad outline: if the mail stays on the server and is accessed via
IMAP, then set up a spam-training and ham-training folder in each
user's account, and have them copy or move messages to those folders.
SA can then learn from them directly.

There are refinements, like adding a spam-inbox folder that you save
high-scoring messages to instead of the user's regular inbox, and
rotating the training folders monthly so that sa-learn doesn't have to
wade through a lot of messages it's already seen.