Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/12 16:15:50 UTC

geronimo-dependency.xml

Folks,

In trunk, I've noticed that dependencies specified in
geronimo-dependency.xml without an explicit version get resolved to an
incorrect version when installed. For example, the root pom defines
geronimo-schema-j2ee_1.4 dependency with version 1.2. But in the final
javaee assembly only the version 1.1-SNAPSHOT was installed. I see the
same issue with other such dependencies.

Is anyone else seeing that too? Looks like we will need to specify
explicit versions in the geronimo-dependency.xml files. If so, how do
we keep the versions in synch with the root pom?

Jarek

Re: geronimo-dependency.xml

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
+1

-Donald

Re: geronimo-dependency.xml

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Re: geronimo-dependency.xml

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 12, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> A quick investigation into this gave rise to some insights and more
> questions -
>
> Insights:
> 1) An explicit-versions.properties gets generated by the PackageMojo
> while building every config.
> 2) I doubt if this is getting serialized into the car. So I am unsure
> if this ever gets used.

It is used when "compiling" the car file.  It's intended only to
restrict the c-m-p view of the local maven repo to make it look more
like a geronimo repo.  It would definitely not be appropriate to use
it at any other time.

> 3) An explicit-version.properties gets generated by the
> InstallModulesMojo while building assembles in 2.0 but not in trunk.
> 4) And obviously, we are not using InstallModulesMojo for assembly
> in trunk.

Actually we are using InstallModuleMojo in trunk, however it now uses
the PluginInstallerGBean to do all the work.  Since we're using the
same plugin installer as we would be in a running geronimo server,
there is no way to figure out what an appropriate explicit-
version.properties would be or no way to send one from the maven
environment into the plugin.

> Questions:
> 1) what is the explicit-version.properties used for (in configs and in
> 2.0 assembly) ?

As noted above, to filter the maven repo to the versions specified in
the pom
> 2) what is the geronimo-dependency.xml used for ? (a handful of
> modules contain it)

This is geronimo's "transitive depenendency" feature.  When you
include a jar with such a file in a configuration's dependencies, all
the jars listed in the g-d.xml file also get included (recursively).

I'm not longer sure this g-d.xml file is a wonderful idea.  There
aren't that many of them and they seem to mostly cause confusion.

> Thanx
> Prasad
>

> On 10/12/07, Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In trunk, I've noticed that dependencies specified in
>> geronimo-dependency.xml without an explicit version get resolved
>> to an
>> incorrect version when installed. For example, the root pom defines
>> geronimo-schema-j2ee_1.4 dependency with version 1.2. But in the
>> final
>> javaee assembly only the version 1.1-SNAPSHOT was installed. I see
>> the
>> same issue with other such dependencies.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing that too? Looks like we will need to specify
>> explicit versions in the geronimo-dependency.xml files. If so, how do
>> we keep the versions in synch with the root pom?

I'm starting to wonder if we should abandon the idea of allowing you
to leave out versions in dependencies so geronimo will pick up the
latest available.  The alternative hot-upgrade method would be to
explicitly map the old version to the new version in
artifact_aliases.properties.  If we decided on this approach we could
insert all the versions into the g-d.xml during the build.

This would be a major philosophical change so I'd definitely like
some discussion before we decide.

thanks
david jencks

Re: geronimo-dependency.xml