Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dan Axtell <da...@snet.net> on 2012/05/01 15:34:16 UTC

mod_perl and RedHat 6

I'm trying to migrate a server to a new machine running 64-bit RedHat 6.  The
stock RedHat setup is apache 2.2.15, php 5.3.3 and perl 5.10.1.  Normally I
build the latest Apache 2.2 and Perl/mod_perl in /usr/local and just use that.
However, this server will also use Drupal so I figured I'd build PHP locally
as well.

I'm unable to get PHP 5.3 or 5.4 to link properly with the installed mysql,
pcre and gd libraries (all of which are installed along with the devel
packages), so I was thinking of just using the stock Apache and PHP and trying
to build a newer mod_perl with the /usr/local/bin/perl which is 5.14.2.  So I
tried
/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/sbin/apxs

This compiles, but make test gives me this:

Test Summary Report
-------------------
t/api/server_const.t                  (Wstat: 0 Tests: 6 Failed: 2)
  Failed tests:  5-6
Files=242, Tests=2614, 122 wallclock secs ( 1.30 usr  0.41 sys + 91.90 cusr
10.94 csys = 104.55 CPU)
Result: FAIL
Failed 1/242 test programs. 2/2614 subtests failed.

I'm not sure how serious this failure is and whether I should consider
installing the resulting mod_perl.so file instead of the stock one.  I can
always just use the stock Perl/mod_perl but I'd really prefer a newer Perl.

Alternatively, I suppose I can try and set up a reverse proxy to run the
Drupal stuff on the stock Apache and mod_perl stuff on the custom
Apache/mod_perl, but I expect I'll run into complications there with various
virtual hosts and such.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: mod_perl and RedHat 6

Posted by Dan Axtell <da...@snet.net>.
On Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:51:40 am Fred Moyer wrote:
> > t/api/server_const.t                  (Wstat: 0 Tests: 6 Failed: 2)
> >
> > I'm not sure how serious this failure is and whether I should consider
>
> The RedHat Apache uses a custom server signature so there is a bit of
> a mismatch on that test. Nothing to worry about, you can install and
> it will work fine.

Thank you, that's a big help

Re: mod_perl and RedHat 6

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.