Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "KIND,LANCE (HP-FtCollins,ex1)" <la...@hp.com> on 2001/07/02 18:29:30 UTC

Status on Java proxy generation

Hey Glen, Rob, and rest of Axis team,

Just wanted to give an update as to where I am at with generating Java
proxies from WSDL.  I think I estimated it at July 1st or the beginning of
July (starting to split hairs).  I hope to be able to get the proxy
generator generating proxies for services that use primitive types sometime
next week.  The next step would be to support Structs.

It appears from the code that Structs are supported via BeanSerializer
(BidBuy's TestClient for example).  Is the preferred model to support SOAP
structs by mapping them to Beans?

As a template for proxy generation, I am assuming that using
ServiceDescription to setup the input arguments and output arguments is the
preferred approach (ala BidBuy's TestClient, and Echo's TestClient).  Is
that correct?  I've noticed that there are other ways: call.invoke (ala
AddressBookProxy in the axis-10 directory), use RPCElement('ns',
'methodName', new Object[] {new RPCParam(..), new RPCParam(...),...}), null)
and ServiceClient.invoke(RPCElement body).

Anyways, here is what things look like right now.
org.apache.axis.client.proxy - WSDL to proxy generation classes
org.apache.axis.client.proxy.types - supporting classes used for dealing
with the various type categories (array, primitives, structs,..)
org.apache.axis.test - Some classes used by Junit tests.

If you have any feedback about package names and that ilk, go ahead and send
it to me.  It's pretty easy to change things around while I have things
inside of Visual Age (no file system overhead to deal with).

Cheers,

==>Lancer---

Re: Status on Java proxy generation

Posted by Rob Jellinghaus <ro...@unrealities.com>.
At 12:29 PM 7/2/2001 -0400, KIND,LANCE (HP-FtCollins,ex1) wrote:
>I hope to be able to get the proxy generator generating proxies for
services that use primitive types sometime next week.  The next step would
be to support Structs.

Awesome!!!

>It appears from the code that Structs are supported via BeanSerializer
(BidBuy's TestClient for example).  Is the preferred model to support SOAP
structs by mapping them to Beans?

I don't know the Right Answer, but I think this would be the best way to
go.  Beans seem to be Jave's current answer to .Net's properties.

>As a template for proxy generation, I am assuming that using
ServiceDescription to setup the input arguments and output arguments is the
preferred approach (ala BidBuy's TestClient, and Echo's TestClient).  Is
that correct?

It's the most structured and metadata-oriented way, so it's probably the
best way for this application, though I don't know what the plans are for
ServiceDescription in general.

>org.apache.axis.test - Some classes used by Junit tests.

So far we've kept all JUnit test classes in the test.* tree only.  (Though
now I think about it, isn't this subject to Doug's concern about
overlapping package names?)

Cheers,
Rob