Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "michael watson (IAH-C)" <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk> on 2007/04/11 18:37:47 UTC

Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

Hi

I have followed the instructions to install dynamically linked mod_perl
on
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Installing_mod
_perl, having previously installed a statically linked version on a
different server.

When I installed the statically linked version, ModPerl/Registry.pm went
into /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, which is a
good place for it because @INC already looks there.

However, with my new install, ModPerl/Registry.pm has gone into
/usr/local/apache2/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, which
isn't in my @INC.

Can someone tell me which options during the mod_perl install (or indeed
the apache2 install) I need to set so that ModPerl/Registry.pm goes into
a directory that perl already looks at?  I realise I can alter my
PERL5LIB to look at
/usr/local/apache2/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, but it
just seems messy...

Thanks
Mick

The information contained in this message may be confidential or legally
privileged and is intended solely for the addressee. If you have
received this message in error please delete it & notify the originator
immediately.
Unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
forbidden & may be unlawful.
The contents of this e-mail are the views of the sender and do not
necessarily represent the views of the Institute.
This email and associated attachments has been checked locally for
viruses but we can accept no responsibility once it has left our
systems.
Communications on Institute computers are monitored to secure the
effective operation of the systems and for other lawful purposes.

Re: Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On 4/11/07, michael watson (IAH-C) <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Well, when I used the "static install" instructions (on an identical
>> server) ModPerl/Registry.pm was installed in a suitable place.
>> When I followed the "Dynamic install" instriuctions, it got stuck
>> under /usr/local/apache2/.
>

> Wait, maybe I've got this wrong.  I never do dynamic installs.

I do them all the time and I've never had modules install themselves
anyplace other than perl's @INC.

michael: I'd nuke /usr/local/apache2 and try again.  if you still run
into trouble, please follow the steps here

  http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

specifically running t/REPORT as it will send back all the args passed
to Makefile.PL, perl's @INC, etc.

thanks.

--Geoff

RE: Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

Posted by "michael watson (IAH-C)" <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk>.
There is a lib directory, created under /usr/local/apache2/, and ModPerl::Registry gets stuck in there under site_perl/perl5.8.0/linux_multi_threaded/etc (you get the idea).  But that path isn't in my @INC.

I also had to copy all the apr library files to /usr/lib.

It works now, but it all seems a bit messy....

________________________________

> Well, when I used the "static install" instructions (on an identical server) ModPerl/Registry.pm was installed in a suitable place.
> When I followed the "Dynamic install" instriuctions, it got stuck under /usr/local/apache2/.

Wait, maybe I've got this wrong.  I never do dynamic installs.

There used to be an automatically added lib directory under the server
root and I don't remember if it's still in there or not.  You can
check by dumping @INC from your startup.pl to see if it includes the
path where those libs were installed.

- Perrin

Re: Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Posted by "michael watson (IAH-C)" <mi...@bbsrc.ac.uk>.
Well, when I used the "static install" instructions (on an identical server) ModPerl/Registry.pm was installed in a suitable place.
When I followed the "Dynamic install" instriuctions, it got stuck under /usr/local/apache2/.
Odd.

________________________________

> When I installed the statically linked version, ModPerl/Registry.pm went
> into /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, which is a
> good place for it because @INC already looks there.
>
> However, with my new install, ModPerl/Registry.pm has gone into
> /usr/local/apache2/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, which
> isn't in my @INC.

Are you sure you're using the same versions of perl and mod_perl
there?  There shouldn't be anything special about the way mod_perl
installs its modules, i.e. they should go into the same place where
all of your CPAN installs go.

- Perrin

Re: Can't locate ModPerl/Registry.pm in @INC

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:
> However, with my new install, ModPerl/Registry.pm has gone into
> /usr/local/apache2/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, which
> isn't in my @INC.
>
> Can someone tell me which options during the mod_perl install (or indeed
> the apache2 install) I need to set so that ModPerl/Registry.pm goes into
> a directory that perl already looks at?  I realise I can alter my
> PERL5LIB to look at
> /usr/local/apache2/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/, but it
> just seems messy...

mod_perl supports the usual options supported by ExtUtils::MakeMaker:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#Configuring_mod_perl

So you should be able to 'perl Makefile.PL LIB=/usr/lib' or something
quite similar.