Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2006/12/01 16:24:32 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Apache Cayenne community just voted to request graduation from the
Incubator as a TLP [1]. The text of the proposed board resolution
(adopted from iBatis graduation resolution) is included below. Other
project related links are also shown below - [2], [3]. The following
people cast +1 votes:

   Andrus Adamchik (PPMC)
   Craig Russell
   Malcolm Edgar (committer)
   Matt Kerr
   Tore Halset (PPMC)
   Ari Maniatis
   Bill Dudney (PPMC)
   Michael Gentry (PPMC)
   Mike Kienenberger (PPMC)
   Jean T. Anderson (PPMC / Incubator PMC)
   Kevin Menard (committer)
   Jason Dwyer

I am asking for a vote of the Incubator PMC on graduation of Cayenne
that is conditional on the board's approval of a TLP for that
purpose. Please cast your votes.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cayenne-dev/
200612.mbox/%3c6D8070F1-508A-452D-8EA1-801E2ACD310E@objectstyle.org%3e
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/cayenne/
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cayenne.html

Andrus

---------
Apache Cayenne developers have voted to request the ASF Board to
establish
Cayenne as a Top Level Project at the ASF. Here is the text of the
suggested
resolution:

        open-source software related to object-relational mapping (ORM)
        and remoting services, for distribution at no charge to the
public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Cayenne PMC", be and
        hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and
        be it further

        RESOLVED, that the Apache Cayenne PMC be and hereby is
        related to the Cayenne Object Relational Framework and tools,
        based on software licensed to the Foundation; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Cayenne" be
        and hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve
        at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
        Apache Cayenne PMC, and to have primary responsibility for
        management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
        of the Apache Cayenne PMC; and be it further

        Apache Cayenne PMC:

          Andrus Adamchik (aadamchik@apache.org)
          Bill Dudney (bdudney@apache.org)
          Michael Gentry (mgentry@apache.org)
          Tore Halset (torehalset@apache.org)
          Mike Kienenberger  (mkienenb@apache.org)

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andrus Adamchik be
        and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache
        Cayenne, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
direction
        of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation
        until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
        disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
        further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Cayenne PMC be and hereby is
        tasked with the migration and rationalization of the incubating
        Apache Cayenne project; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the incubating
        Apache Cayenne project encumbered upon the incubator PMC be
        hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Dec 1, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I am asking for a vote of the Incubator PMC on graduation of
> Cayenne that is conditional on the board's approval of a TLP for
> that purpose. Please cast your votes.

+1.

Good luck!

- Leo

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Actually TLP was the plan from the beginning, the main reason being
that Cayenne was an existing open source project with a working
meritocratic self-management since the inception in 2001. In the ASF
structure this maps best to a TLP with its own PMC.

Also while we have a great working relationship with some folks from
DB community, there is no committer overlap at the moment. So that
will make it a pure umbrella project just because Cayenne also
happens to deal with DB access.

Andrus

P.S. This reminds me of something that I should've put in my original
email - I'd like to thank DB PMC (and especially Jean) for all the
work helping us with various incubation aspects :-)

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: TLP Resolution Template

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 12:46 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>> There was a question raised by Greg Stein about a better template for
>>> board resolution, but since no alternative template has been made
>>> available, we are sticking with what we have.
>>
>> I suggest you change all "Apache Cayenne PMC" references to "Apache
>> Cayenne Project" in that resolution (and maybe it will help the next
>> podling).
>
> Well, I didn't want to make a change during the vote as this is not  as
> simple as search and replace. It looks like this is something that  will
> require more consideration going forward.
>
> In fact the way it is worded, most references to the PMC are correct.
> E.g. "members of the PMC" or "Apache Cayenne PMC [..] is tasked with
> the migration [...] of the incubating Apache Cayenne project".  Actually
> I think the only place where the change might make sense is  in the
> second paragraph that now states something like:
>
> "NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
> (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Cayenne PMC", be and hereby is
> established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation".

good catch. You're right, of course -- I was moving too quickly and
dispensing bum advice.

> But even here, instead of replacing PMC with Project, I think we  simply
> need to add a sentence about establishing a project (as PMC  also has be
> established).
>
> Comments?

I think that the reference in the second paragraph can be changed to
"Apache Cayenne Project" because the following paragraph introduces the
PMC as the responsible entity.

 -jean

TLP Resolution Template

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I guess we can close the vote - it's been running for 96 hours  already.
> We've got 5 "plus one" votes, of which 4 are from the  Incubator PMC
> members, and no other votes. Here is a breakdown:
>
>   Bill Dudney
>   Jean T. Anderson (Incubator PMC)
>   Leo Simons (Incubator PMC)
>   Robert Burrell Donkin (Incubator PMC)
>   Brian McCallister (Incubator PMC)
>
> There was a question raised by Greg Stein about a better template for
> board resolution, but since no alternative template has been made
> available, we are sticking with what we have.

I suggest you change all "Apache Cayenne PMC" references to "Apache
Cayenne Project" in that resolution (and maybe it will help the next
podling).

> So now that our graduation has been officially approved by the
> Incubator, one last thing remains - the vote by the ASF Board. Is  this
> something that is going to happen during the December board  meeting?

Since you are the proposed chair, I suggest that you email board <at>
apache.org the resolution with a request to include it on the December
agenda. I'll watch for it to be added to the agenda.

Unless, of course, somebody on general@incubator has a more
authoritative suggestion.

 -jean

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
+1 again from me :-)

TTFN,

-bd-

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
+1 I have been watching the Cayenne goings-ons and am very impressed.

-Brian

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/1/06, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Apache Cayenne community just voted to request graduation from the
> Incubator as a TLP [1]. The text of the proposed board resolution
> (adopted from iBatis graduation resolution) is included below. Other
> project related links are also shown below - [2], [3]. The following
> people cast +1 votes:
>
>    Andrus Adamchik (PPMC)
>    Craig Russell
>    Malcolm Edgar (committer)
>    Matt Kerr
>    Tore Halset (PPMC)
>    Ari Maniatis
>    Bill Dudney (PPMC)
>    Michael Gentry (PPMC)
>    Mike Kienenberger (PPMC)
>    Jean T. Anderson (PPMC / Incubator PMC)
>    Kevin Menard (committer)
>    Jason Dwyer
>

> I am asking for a vote of the Incubator PMC on graduation of Cayenne
> that is conditional on the board's approval of a TLP for that
> purpose. Please cast your votes.

+1

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Here's my +1 on this list.

-jean

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 12/2/06, Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> The name would be "Apache Cayenne Project". Please fix before
> submitting to the Board.
>
> There is some stupid virus of a template showing these as "Apache Foo
> PMC" which has to stop.
>
> People should really look at actual resolutions that the Board
> approves, not what gets sent in. We sometimes tweak them.

the examples were all taken from the board minutes

is the actually approved text posted anywhere on the web (so that can
be used instead)?

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.
Bleh. Musta been asleep at the wheel on that agenda :-P

WIth the vote wrapped.. go ahead and tweak the resolution and send to
board@apache.org. We'll vote on it in about two weeks at our regular
meeting.

Thanks,
-g

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

TLP Resolution Template

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Greg Stein [gstein@apache.org] wrote:

> There is some stupid virus of a template [...]

> People should really look at actual resolutions that the Board
> approves, not what gets sent in. We sometimes tweak them.

Perhaps we should provide a template that you do like?  ;-)

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Cayenne to TLP status (pending board approval)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/