Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pavel Sapozhnikov <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/09 16:19:53 UTC

Java Heap Space error during building Struts

Hi so I was trying to build struts2 with maven and I was getting Java Heap
Space error so the result is Build Failed. Its interesting tho because I
tried doing this at home on Vista and XP comp and both failed at work comp
it went fine and it is XP machine. The only difference is that I have anti
virus installed at home but I don't think thats the problem. At worked it
worked fine and I didn't have to set any MAVEN_OPTS environment variables.
So I am just confused I dont know what to do. Oh and other difference is
that at home I have Java 1.6 and at work 5.

--
Pavel Sapozhnikov
xFact, Inc

Re: Java Heap Space error during building Struts

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

you have to set the maximum heap size via the '-Xmx' command line
option.

Until java 1.6 The default value for this option was 64MB, with
1.6 this changed to a dynamic assignement [1]. So the RAM available in
the computer has an impact on the default maximum size. Perhaps this
explains the different results you get.

-Tim

[1]
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/vm/gc-ergonomics.html

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
There are simply too many variables involved to tell you why exactly it failed on one PC and not on another. Add MAVEN_OPTS as needed and I'm sure it will succeed on both machines.

What was the intent of your email? Are you looking for help with a problem?

Wayne