Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by cento <un...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/06 16:55:36 UTC

default logging in Geronimo

Hi, I'd like to know what Log4j reports in Derby, Web Access and server log
viewers by default, possibly for each log level. I know it's an unusual
question, but i wanted to use the logging tools to obtain a performance
analysis of the App server.

Also, I'd like to know if it's possible to add milliseconds in the web
access log viewer (derby and server log viewers do have milliseconds).
Thanks in advance :)

Re: default logging in Geronimo

Posted by cento <un...@gmail.com>.
Thanks :)

I'm a bit confused about Tomcat and Derby logging in Geronimo. As
stand-alone applications, both have a "commons" directory, where the
properties config file is locted.
There's no such directory in the geronimo structure, nor I can find a
properties config file for Tomcat and Derby. Maybe they are configured
programmatically?

Re: default logging in Geronimo

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I don't think there is anything documented regarding the contents of the
logs.  Each log comes from it's respective component .... derby from
derby, access log from the web container in use (tomcat or jetty) and
server log from Geronimo itself.  It's probably best just to start the
server and make note of the types of events that are logged.  For the
server log we use it for the typical things ... capturing information on
  events such as components starting, stopping, deployments, etc ....
debug messages on state changes .... and of course errors.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get the access log to capture
milliseconds ... you would need to look in the tomcat or jetty doc.