Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Jim Klucar <kl...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/24 19:36:11 UTC

Site Layout

Hi everyone,

I started in on mocking up the site. I got tired of the bootstrap navbar on
top approach so I came up with a few mock ups. Don't worry about the colors
not being right or whatever details that are off.

1) http://imgur.com/Or5Fkbx
2) http://imgur.com/2ok8T98
3) http://imgur.com/al0gGht

More importantly, I plan on implementing it using Jekyll (
https://jekyllrb.com/) This is how github pages is done.
https://pages.github.com/

Basically Jekyll parses markdown files and injects them into HTML templates
and generates a static site. The main advantage is it is really blog-aware
so we can create new release notices, blog entries, etc by writing a
standalone markdown file and recompiling the site. The other advantage is
we can redesign the website later and all the content won't have to be
ported. Jekyll will just inject the markdown content into the new site
design.

Let me know what you think. If there aren't any objections to Jekyll I can
get started and we can quibble about design later.

Jim

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula <ah...@gmail.com>.
#1 - pretty cool !

Haripriya Ayyalasomayajula

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Jim Klucar <kl...@gmail.com>.
Nobody likes my apache project math? Actually that's good because i didn't
want to go through the work to make all the colors match.

Anyways, I'll work out something #1-ish.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Santosh Marella <sm...@maprtech.com>.
I like #1 the most.

Santosh

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Swapnil Daingade <sw...@gmail.com>.
Love all three.
#1 and #3 with the Myriad logo on right (like #1)  would be my favorite.

Regards

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Jim Scott <js...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by mohit soni <mo...@gmail.com>.
Looks pretty good Jim! I personally use Pelican for my personal website
(being a bit biased towards python), but Jekyll works great too.

Layout #1 looks great as well.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Brandon Gulla <gu...@gmail.com>.

--
Brandon

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Jim Scott <js...@maprtech.com>.
One thing that I think is important...

When it comes to adding contributors and future committers to the project,
if everything is in markdown it is so easy to add people, to accept
contributions, to merge them in, or even to cherry pick them. Think of any
of the git based tools for cherry picking, select which changes to accept
or reject. Anyone from anywhere can clone the repo, send a pull request for
an update to documentation. That to me, is kind of the ultimate for an open
community. Make it as easy as possible to allow people to contribute
changes.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Santosh Marella <sm...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Ruth Harris <rh...@maprtech.com>.
I think we need a consensus.
> [...]

> > blog-aware
> > > so we can create new release notices, blog entries, etc by writing a
> > > standalone markdown file and recompiling the site. The other advantage
> is
> > > we can redesign the website later and all the content won't have to be
> > > ported. Jekyll will just inject the markdown content into the new site
> > > design.
> > >
> > > Let me know what you think. If there aren't any objections to Jekyll I
> > can
> > > get started and we can quibble about design later.
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >

> > --
> > Ruth Harris
> > Sr. Technical Writer, MapR
> >

> --
> *Jim Scott*
> Director, Enterprise Strategy & Architecture

Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Jim Scott <js...@maprtech.com>.
Ruth, et al.,

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Looks great (#1 especially), and rendering markdown is the right choice.
Please keep in mind Apache's podling website guidelines:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html
That page suggests several other potential pages, like license, committers,
mailing lists, etc.

Re: Site Layout

Posted by Jim Klucar <kl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Site Layout