Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mi...@faa.gov on 2015/10/16 18:33:46 UTC

Setting Up Internal Repositories

The Maven Introduction to Repositories documentation contains a section that describes setting up an internal repository.

In that section is described an option to manually download and vet releases, apparently of a remote repo.

What is meant by "vet"?  Can you provide an example of how a repo release would be vetted?  I suspect this is highly dependent on the intended use of the repo, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of what is involved.

Thank you.

Mike

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

RE: Setting Up Internal Repositories

Posted by Mi...@faa.gov.
Thank you Anders.  I think this addresses something I mentioned in my reply to Ron.

Michael Tarullo
Contractor (Engility Corp)
Enterprise Architect
NSRR System Administrator
FAA WJH Technical Center
(609)485-5294

You could also check the signature against expected release managers or similar.

/Anders (mobile)

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Gail Stewart <ga...@mineraltree.com>.
We have also had a process for documenting why we upgraded a dependency or
chose a new dependency.  We use Jira - so we would create a ticket type
that had a workflow for the approvals.  It was pretty lightweight but it
would sometimes prevent developers using multiple libraries to accomplish
the same task unnecessarily.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM, <Mi...@faa.gov> wrote:

> Thank you Ron.  We already do the first.  We are considering the second,
> but for a repo with a very large number of artifacts this is somewhat
> impractical.  To mitigate that, we may consider automating it.  Finally,
> knowing what to expect appears to present some problems to me.
>
> Michael Tarullo
> Contractor (Engility Corp)
> Enterprise Architect
> NSRR System Administrator
> FAA WJH Technical Center
> (609)485-5294

Gail Stewart
Sr. Release Engineer

AP & Payment Automation
125 Cambridgepark Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140
gail.stewart@mineraltree.com
617.299.3399  x148

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Some organizations have concerns about using precompiled binaries
provided by third parties.

To "vet" a third-party provided binary would be a process to simply
compare the provided binary against the one that you could create
yourself using the same source code. A sufficiently motivated
third-party could take a perfectly clean/safe binary, inject their own
modifications, and distribute that modified version as if it were the
original version. I haven't seen this happen myself with any Java
libraries, but it could occur, at least in theory (and assuming you
don't pay attention to checksums - also realize the same person who
could secretly modify the binary could also modify the checksum).

As with everything, you need to think about what risks you are
concerned about, then devise processes to mitigate those risks. No one
here can dictate the correct approach for your organization.

Wayne