Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ashley Williams <as...@db.com> on 2007/10/02 09:44:03 UTC

Using maven project as utility file

Hi,

On a previous ant based project I was able to create a build.xml file that
contained many utilities for the dev team, such as "open a dos prompt at
the install directory" or "open all log files in a text editor" and so on.
We then tied these ant targets to eclipse external tools so that we could
perform all those use cases at the click of a button. Now I'm on a maven
based project I would like to implement similar behaviour using the
pom.xml file for the parent pom.

I have to use maven since all of our properties (such as project
installation directory) are tied up in a maven profile, although I do in
fact delegate to an ant build file using the ant plugin, since writing
maven plugins seems too heavyweight for such simple use cases.

The problem is that I have create a whole pom per use case and tie that
use case artificially to some lifecycle phase such as generate-sources,
whereas I would like to put all of the ant plugin calls in a single pom
and be able to invoke them individually. There isn't much budget for
refactoring I'm afraid so if this can't be done with the existing
constraints then that's my answer, but any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
- Ashley

---