Posted to apps-dev@avalon.apache.org by Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx> on 2002/09/19 20:12:03 UTC

ConnectionHandler contract qualification

Peter,

how do you feel about specifying in ConnectionHandler's contract that
the caller is responsible for shutting the connection down and the
handler shouldn't bother? I am attaching a patch to that effect.

Thanks
Greg

Re: ConnectionHandler contract qualification

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:33, Greg Steuck wrote:
>     >> how do you feel about specifying in ConnectionHandler's contract
>     >> that the caller is responsible for shutting the connection down
>     >> and the handler shouldn't bother? I am attaching a patch to that
>     >> effect.
>
>     Peter> I get a bit nervous ;) The Connection stuff is fairly widely
>     Peter> used. Whats your motivation for this?
>
> I just want to make the behavior already implemented by
> DefaultConnectionManager part of the contract. It is a legitimate
> question after all: "Who gets to close the socket?" And I don't see
> a reason not to make it part of the ConnectionManager responsibility.
> It's the one that creates the socket after all...

oh - in that case sure. I thought you wanted to change behaviour ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: ConnectionHandler contract qualification

Posted by Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx>.

    >> how do you feel about specifying in ConnectionHandler's contract
    >> that the caller is responsible for shutting the connection down
    >> and the handler shouldn't bother? I am attaching a patch to that
    >> effect.

    Peter> I get a bit nervous ;) The Connection stuff is fairly widely
    Peter> used. Whats your motivation for this?

I just want to make the behavior already implemented by
DefaultConnectionManager part of the contract. It is a legitimate
question after all: "Who gets to close the socket?" And I don't see
a reason not to make it part of the ConnectionManager responsibility.
It's the one that creates the socket after all...

Bye

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 04:12, Greg Steuck wrote:
> how do you feel about specifying in ConnectionHandler's contract that
> the caller is responsible for shutting the connection down and the
> handler shouldn't bother? I am attaching a patch to that effect.

I get a bit nervous ;) The Connection stuff is fairly widely used. Whats your
motivation for this?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald