Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com> on 2012/02/17 10:59:41 UTC

MultiProduct -- Was: Re: svn commit: r1242755

On 17 February 2012 09:47, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 02/16/2012 06:50 PM, Mat Booth wrote:
>>
>> Also relevant:
>>
>> Now that I have fixed my personal website, I'd like to share a couple
>> of plug-ins I've written in the past for Trac. The first is
>> rudimentary support for multiple products, as a patch to the Trac core
>> and a companion plug-in, rather uninventively named MultiProduct:
>>
>> http://matbooth.co.uk/trac/wiki/MultiProductStart
>>
>> It was written a couple of years ago now so it was written for Trac
>> 0.11 but it does exciting things like add a new ticket field type to
>> facilitate having product dependant components and product dependant
>> versions. You can read more at the link above and by all means Gary,
>> steal as much of it as you like if it is useful to your multi-product
>> effort -- it's proven too as I know of at least two companies using it
>> in production in their internal Trac installs in addition to my
>> personal Trac at matbooth.co.uk :-)
>>
>> We should sit down and discuss merging our efforts, maybe. What are
>> your thoughts Gary?
>>
>> The second plug-in I'm responsible for is called TicketValidation:
>>
>> http://matbooth.co.uk/trac/wiki/TicketValidationStart
>>
>> Which was created in response to make certain ticket fields mandatory
>> for certain ticket types. Basically it's a way of configuring boolean
>> expressions to determine if a ticket field is mandatory based on the
>> values of the other fields. It also supports hiding fields from view
>> in a similar way. It's a little more rough and ready than my
>> MultiProduct plug-in, but again there is at least company I know of
>> using it production.
>>
>> I would be happy to move these two plug-ins wholesale to the
>> BloodHound project if you guys like them. I can then spend some time
>> updating them to work with the latest version of the Trac code base.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>

> That is fantastic. Personally I would be very happy to see this work put
> into bloodhound as there is some very useful work there. I was under the
> impression that your multiproduct plugin was looking at a different level to
> my work but, even if that is true, it should go a long way towards solving
> other problems.
>
> Thanks Mat!
>
> Cheers,
>    Gary

Changed the subject cause I hijacked the thread ;-)

Yes, I guess it does work at a different level. If what you want to is
to make products or projects a way of partitioning lists of tickets a
la Jira then you can think of my plug-in more as merely adding
per-component subcomponents and per-component versions. But you can
use the new field type that the patch adds to define relationships
between any drop-down selection fields you can think of.

It just met my need for a crude multiple project support in my Trac
instance. :-)

--
Mat Booth
Software Engineer

Re: MultiProduct -- Was: Re: svn commit: r1242755

Posted by Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com>.
On 24 February 2012 01:29, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 17/02/12 12:53, Mat Booth wrote:
>>
>> On 17 February 2012 10:06, Gary<ga...@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>>>

>>> I think that subcomponents is something that we are likely to want at
>>> some
>>> point so that should be perfect.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there are now appropriate extension points in Trac to allow
>>> this
>>> to work without patching. Possibly something to consider further down the
>>> line though.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>    Gary
>>>
>> As I say on http://matbooth.co.uk/trac/wiki/MultiProductStart I had
>> planned to eliminate the need for a patch eventually. When I find some
>> time, I will investigate this.
>>

> I had a quick look at your multiproduct work this evening. I think I have
> got it working for 0.13. There was one part of the patch that I couldn't
> seem to find an equivalent part of trac to modify. I'll have to consult you
> on that.
>
> Cheers,
>    Gary

Nice work, I look forward to seeing some patches :-)

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Mat Booth <ma...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.