Posted to commits@harmony.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/03/12 13:17:37 UTC

[Harmony Wiki] Update of "Board200803" by TimEllison

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Harmony Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by TimEllison:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Board200803

The comment on the change is:
First draft

- Notes in preparation for next Board meeting.
+ = Board report October - March 2008 =

-  - required to mention that our export declaration is up to date
+ {{{
+ Summary
+ =======
+ The Apache Harmony community and code continue to be working well.  We
+ are still looking to the Board to help resolve the JCK license issue,
+ but this is not stopping us delivering useful software to our users.

+ Development & Releases
+ ======================
+ The development team continues to be focused primarily on the Java 5 SE
+ code stream, and we have successfully delivered two milestone releases since
+ our last report.
+
+ Milestone build 5.0M4 was published on Dec 19, 2007 and 5.0M5 on Mar 1, 2008.
+ Each of these milestones contain a significant number of bug fixes and
+ new functionality, as evidenced by the over 370 JIRA issues resolved
+ and over 730 commits since our last report.
+
+ Noteworthy advancements have been made in the following areas:
+
+  * new JIT optimizations
+  * functional and coverage enhancements throughout the class libraries,
+  * improved VM threading design
+  * support for full hardware addressability on 64 bit platforms
+  * new appletviewer tool
+  * alpha version of unpack200 tool
+
+ We continue to test with a variety of applications to ensure completeness and
+ compatibility with the specification, and have made good progress in adding
+ Apache Geronimo to our list of fully functional apps.
+
+ The Java 6 APIs are being steadily filled-out and kept in synch with the
+ Java 5 branch changes.
+
+ Security
+ ========
+ There were no reported security issues this period.
+
+ Community
+ =========
+ The community continues to operate in a healthy manner with a vibrant
+ developer list, including a number of new participants on the mailing list.
+
+ The PMC elected three new committers this period, Pavel Pervov, Sian January,
+ and Vasily Zakharov.  There were no changes to the PMC membership.
+ There are currently 32 committers, ~23 of whom were active
+ this period.
+
+ Export Controls
+ The Apache Harmony PMC have reviewed the ASF export controls procedures
+ and confirm that we are in compliance.
+
+ }}}
+