Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> on 2012/10/23 18:42:37 UTC

Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

All,

It's been a while since we released and I want to change this now. I
propose making a 1.3.x branch from today's master
(66529378dd06342929e04772370f3509cbe786a5) and building 1.3.0 there.

As I understand, the principal outstanding issues blocking the 1.3.0
release are;

1) Randall Leed's backports of fixes from 1.2.0. This code is written
and I have reviewed it, though more eyes are appreciated.
2) The CORS patch. This has been around for a very long time but has
not reached our repository in any form. Earlier this month I proposed
that if it does not appear in usable form by the end of the calendar
month, it gets bumped to the next release.
3) The blockers marked in JIRA.

I think all of those things can land on 1.3.x and master.

Can I get some votes on my proposal to branch today please?

B.

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Branching would free master for commits that are not destined to go in 1.3.
>
> The reason to branch is to get some focus and momentum around the
> 1.3.0 release. And it seems to be working.
>
> B.

Let's reformulate , why not plan for a freeze on 11/5 an da release at
the end of the month or sooner? It will let time to land all patches
we want in and fix latest bits. New features could go in a branch if
needed.

thoughts?

- benoit

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm happy to defer branching until 11/5 as long as we're clear that
> anything not on master by that date will not appear in the 1.3
> release.

agree.

> After 1.3, I want us to execute on the roadmap process we discussed in
> Dublin (documented here:
> https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process) where we release
> every 3 months.

+ 1

- benoƮt

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Can I get some votes on my proposal to branch today please?

Yes, please!

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 24 October 2012 09:01, Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> It's been a while since we released and I want to change this now. I
>> propose making a 1.3.x branch from today's master
>> (66529378dd06342929e04772370f3509cbe786a5) and building 1.3.0 there.

>> 1) Randall Leed's backports of fixes from 1.2.0. This code is written
>> and I have reviewed it, though more eyes are appreciated.
>> 2) The CORS patch. This has been around for a very long time but has
>> not reached our repository in any form. Earlier this month I proposed
>> that if it does not appear in usable form by the end of the calendar
>> month, it gets bumped to the next release.

Agreed. If necessary we could do a special 1.4 with CORS, I think it
would be warranted.

>> 3) The blockers marked in JIRA.
>>
>> I think all of those things can land on 1.3.x and master.
>>
>> Can I get some votes on my proposal to branch today please?

+1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Tall_ship_Christian_Radich_under_sail.jpg

A+
Dave

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Jason Smith <jh...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> It's been a while since we released and I want to change this now. I
> propose making a 1.3.x branch from today's master
> (66529378dd06342929e04772370f3509cbe786a5) and building 1.3.0 there.
>
> As I understand, the principal outstanding issues blocking the 1.3.0
> release are;
>
> 1) Randall Leed's backports of fixes from 1.2.0. This code is written
> and I have reviewed it, though more eyes are appreciated.
> 2) The CORS patch. This has been around for a very long time but has
> not reached our repository in any form. Earlier this month I proposed
> that if it does not appear in usable form by the end of the calendar
> month, it gets bumped to the next release.
> 3) The blockers marked in JIRA.
>
> I think all of those things can land on 1.3.x and master.
>
> Can I get some votes on my proposal to branch today please?

+1

--
Iris Couch

Re: Branching for the CouchDB 1.3 release

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

For your convenience: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+COUCHDB+AND+priority+%3D+Blocker+AND+status+%21%3D+Resolved+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%221.3%22+ORDER+BY+key+DESC%2C+updated+DESC

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Appreciate you are busy, and appreciate even more getting the code out
tomorrow. My point remains that we should be time-based not
feature-based now, it's no harm to bump to 1.4.

That said, CORS in 1.3 would be awesome.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.