Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Conrad <wc...@hivelocity.net.INVALID> on 2023/05/18 12:07:14 UTC

IP Spoofing and IP Theft

Hello Community!

It looks like cloudstack has built-iin protection to prevent IP spoofing, I
am wondering what kind (if any) of protections cloudstack has built-in to
protect the environment from IP theft, or is this a consideration that
should be taken into account when designing the network layout and
offerings for tenants?

Regards,

Willard Conrad
DevOps Engineer
Hivelocity, LLC

Re: IP Spoofing and IP Theft

Posted by Bryan Lima <br...@scclouds.com.br>.
Hello Willard,

ACS has the configuration `api.allowed.source.cidr.list` which is a
comma-separated list of IPv4/IPv6 CIDRs from which API calls can be
performed. Therefore, it is possible to filter from which IP addresses
the ACS will accept calls; this parameter is also configurable at the
account level.

However, the implementation of this feature uses the de-facto standard
`X-Forwarded-For` HTTP header for getting the client IP address, and ACS
will use whatever IP is sent in this header for filtering. Thus, this IP
needs to be treated before reaching the ACS management server. This can
be done in the proxy/load balancer server by checking if the IP passed
in the `X-Forwarded-For` header matches the remote address, for example.
Blindly accepting the header `X-Forwarded-For` is a security risk[1],
this header is only safe when it was built from a trusted node, usually
the first wall of defense, i.g. a firewall.

In short, ACS does not have built-in protection for IP spoofing; this
needs to be done before the request reaches the ACS, either in a proxy
server or firewall.

Regarding IP theft, it is proposed in issue #7369[2] and implemented in
PR#7378[3] a functionality called public IP quarantine. This feature is
useful for preventing IP theft, as it keeps a public IP in quarantine
for a configurable period, which only allows the owner of the IP to
allocate during the quarantine duration. Therefore, this feature
prevents a user to impersonate another user by using its public IP, as
it will be in quarantine.

Best regards,
Bryan

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/X-Forwarded-For#security_and_privacy_concerns
[2] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/7369
[3] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/7378

Re: IP Spoofing and IP Theft

Posted by Hean Seng <he...@gmail.com>.
 I think you are not possible to do this on share network, where next hop
of the network is directly your physical router.  Nobody know the IP is
Spoof if your VM change the IP  Itself instead of following the DHCP.

If you really want to achieve this, you may self write a script to read ARP
records from your Router and compare it to VM MAC Address ,  if it is not
matched, then will be Spoof.

You can avoid this by using. Advance  , NAT  Network Group where the Public
IP is not control by the VM.

Hean Seng

Re: IP Spoofing and IP Theft

Posted by Will Conrad <wc...@hivelocity.net.INVALID>.