Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Vincent Bernardi <vi...@kameleoon.com> on 2017/07/20 10:50:56 UTC

Streams StateStore topic name/reuse

Hello everyone,
I currently run a small Streams app which accumulates data in a state store
and periodically erases it. I would like another application (not running
Kafka Streams), to consume the Kafka topic which backs this State Store and
sometimes take actions depending on the state (of course never writing on
the topic, only reading).

I have two questions:
1°/ Is the format written on this topic easily readable using the same
Serde I use for the state store or does Streams change it in any way?
2°/ since the topic will be used by several applications, I don't think
naming it {StreamsAppID}-{StateStoreName}-changelog is a good name. Is
there any way I can choose the topic name that Streams is going to use for
a given StateStore?

Thanks in advance,
Vincent Bernardi

Re: Streams StateStore topic name/reuse

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have two questions:
> 1°/ Is the format written on this topic easily readable using the same
> Serde I use for the state store or does Streams change it in any way?

If it is a KeyValue Store then you can use your Serdes to read from the
changelog.

> 2°/ since the topic will be used by several applications, I don't think
> naming it {StreamsAppID}-{StateStoreName}-changelog is a good name. Is
> there any way I can choose the topic name that Streams is going to use for
> a given StateStore?

Sorry, but this isn't supported. Alternatively, you could use the `to`
operator and send the data to another topic of your choice, of course this
will duplicate the data.

Thanks,
Damian