Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Worsnop <ro...@s1.com> on 2002/09/27 18:36:34 UTC

TC4 servlet filter behavior different from WLS7

I am using Tomcat 4.1.1.12, and comparing the servlet filter behavior with
that of WebLogic 7.0 SP1. The behavior is different.

The difference is that WebLogic filters resources when they are being
accessed via a forward, while Tomcat does not.

For example:
I have a servlet "/hello", which forwards to "/hello.jsp".
I have a filter that is mapped to "/hello.jsp".
Accessing "/hello" in WebLogic will trigger the filter. That doesn't happen
in Tomcat.

I found an old message from Craig McClanahan in which he implies that the
Tomcat behavior is by design.

I have read the 2.3 spec, but I don't think it conclusively states which
behavior is correct.

Can someone offer some insight into this? I am looking for some ammunition
before approaching BEA to tell them their product does not work correctly.

Thanks,
Rob.