Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Fernando <fr...@easyjob.net> on 2009/03/04 19:15:23 UTC

Is Cocoon the right tool?

Hi,

First of all, I'm  a newbie, so please bear with me in case any question is
unacceptably idiotic. O:-)

<newbie-asbestos-underwear>

I'm considering Cocoon for a new project, but being completely new to this
area I'm not 100% sure if it's the right tool for the job.

I need to generate complex documents from an xml file. There are 2 steps in
the doc generation:

(a) Step 1: No formatting is applied, only the content and structure of the
original xml doc is transformed by a series of hairy rules. I was planning
to use Jess (www.jessrules.com) for this first part and generate a  final
xml doc, ready for step 2.

(b) Step 2: The document created by step 1 should be rendered into a
gazillion different formats (different layout, fonts, styles, etc...). The
output should be: RTF, PDF and HTML. MS Word .DOC would be a plus, but not
necessary.

Can Cocoon help with Step 2 without requiring significant programming on my
side? Where can I find examples of layout and format definitions for Cocoon?

</newbie-asbestos-underwear>

Thanks in advance,
Fernando

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Mika Lehtonen wrote:
> Secondly, I used that plus sign as an AND operator in order the reader
> to differ these two concepts which in principal aren't even parallel and
> are two individual concepts. I can see I failed in that.

Well, I failed to notice the plus sign ;)

> What I meant,
> is that in order to finish his assignment with Cocoon, Fernando probably
> would need to write sitemaps as well XSL and other stuff.

It's clear now, and I agree.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Mika Lehtonen <mi...@digikartta.net>.
Luca,

first of all, you're right about the thing that we do know almost
nothing about the overall architecture. I seem to have a sort of a bias
nowadays. Forgive me that. It just when I was looking
http://jobmob.co.il/blog/more-beautiful-resume-ideas-that-work/
examples and wondering if those are possible with Cocoon, the whole
question interpret in my brains into something else.
Secondly, I used that plus sign as an AND operator in order the reader
to differ these two concepts which in principal aren't even parallel and
are two individual concepts. I can see I failed in that. What I meant,
is that in order to finish his assignment with Cocoon, Fernando probably
would need to write sitemaps as well XSL and other stuff.

- mika -

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Mika Lehtonen <mi...@digikartta.net>.
Indeed it's an *interesting* assignment. Two things popped up in my mind:
1) Using Cocoon's sitemap and its components can be very enlightening
experience. They really do are powerfull.
2) While looking your examples, I can't help myself thinking what you
really are expecting Cocoon to be. Usually creating fancy layouts with
numerous graphics and effects are connected in our minds to software
with a powerful graphical user interface. What can you do graphically in
Cocoon. Nothing, because it's a web development framework not a desktop
design software. So you have to be prepared in coding, although you can
do a lot in Cocoon without using any particular programming language.
But still you have to learn also "Cocoon language" + for example XSL-FO
etc..

- mika -

Re: Flowscript parameters access

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Jose Luis Carmona wrote:

> I'm building a generator Who will be invoked from a flowscript Who pass
> a JSONObject. I want to access to this JSONObject from the generator but
> i don't know how to do that.
>
> In my flowscript I use
>
> cocoon.sendPage("foo", JSONObject);

More probably something like:
cocoon.sendPage("foo", {json: JSONObject});

> <map:match pattern="foo">
>    <map:generate type="fooGenerator"/>
>    <map:transform type="xmldb"/>
>    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
> </map:match>

Almost, let's reshuffle the generation stage a bit:
<map:generate type="fooGenerator">
   <map:parameter name="json" value="{flow-attr:json}"/>
</map:generate>

> I think I have to access to the JSONObject from the method "configure"
> inside my "fooGenerator".

Not quite: "configure" is used to set the component in the <generators>
section of the sitemap, while "setup" is used to retrieve parameters
specified in the pipeline (i.e. the generation stage).

To get "json" you have to search it in the "parameters" argument passed
to the "setup" method of your generator.

Flowscript parameters access

Posted by Jose Luis Carmona <jl...@integromics.com>.
Hi all,

I'm building a generator Who will be invoked from a flowscript Who pass
a JSONObject. I want to access to this JSONObject from the generator but
i don't know how to do that.

In my flowscript I use

cocoon.sendPage("foo", JSONObject);

In my sitemap

<map:match pattern="foo">
    <map:generate type="fooGenerator"/>
    <map:transform type="xmldb"/>
    <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

I think I have to access to the JSONObject from the method "configure"
inside my "fooGenerator".

Could You help me?

Thanks a lot,
Jose.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Philippe GAUTHIER <ph...@inserm.fr>.
Hello,
Well Birt use css-styles under the hood, you can even prepare them before hand.
You can even embed html, background images are supported, ...
A good exemple :
http://www.richclient2.eu/2006_11_17/eclipse-birt-a-cases-study/
So what would be thoses limitations exactly?
I would more expect a performence issue, because the rendering time is
definitly longer.
Then the scale of CV and their design evolution period would be the
crieria too choose a solution.

Best regards,
Philippe

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Jean-Christophe Kermagoret <jc...@bluexml.com>.
Hi,

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Philippe GAUTHIER <ph...@inserm.fr>.
Hello all,

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
I see it says:

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Jean-Christophe Kermagoret <jc...@bluexml.com>.
Hi,

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Mika Lehtonen <mi...@digikartta.net>.
Hi Fernando,

I guess you would have to produce your PDF (PS) through Apache FOP.
According to my experience, you can easily end up into big troubles with
it, because

a) you have to design your templates by coding and if there is a
graphical editor available for XSL-FO (don't know), you still end up
into troubles,
b) because FOP is still quite far from the standard (see:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html), especially 0.20.5.

On the other hand, after you have created templates, it does work well.
But as said, if your needs are demanding, it can happen so that FOP
isn't yet ready enough. Also the whole XSL-FO is a little "stiff". And
this would only cover one or two formats.. You still need to create
stylesheets ("templates") to other formats as well.

- mika -

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Andre Juffer <aj...@sun3.oulu.fi>.
Fernando wrote:

>>> Just to make sure, are layouts like these possible?
>>> http://jobmob.co.il/blog/more-beautiful-resume-ideas-that-work/
>> Many, if not all, of these layouts can be created with CSS.
>> Cocoon would return clean (X)HTML (and many other formats)
>> without any particular style information. You would just need
>> to ensure that the HTML elements have appropriate id's.
>
> But how would this apply to rtf or pdf? I mean, there's no equivalent of CSS
> for those formats...

With xsl stylesheets. The actual transformation is performed with the
pipelines.

TRhis all is well document on the cocoon website.

RE: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Fernando <fr...@easyjob.net>.

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Andre Juffer <aj...@sun3.oulu.fi>.

RE: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Fernando <fr...@easyjob.net>.

Hi Luca,

Re: Is Cocoon the right tool?

Posted by Luca Morandini <lm...@ieee.org>.
Fernando wrote:

> Can Cocoon help with Step 2 without requiring significant programming on
> my side?

Definitively.

> Where can I find examples of layout and format definitions for
> Cocoon?

Some pointers:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-html-pdf-publishing.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/pdf-serializer.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/serialization/RTFSerializer.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/html-serializer.html
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/xml-serializer.html

And there's something on Microsoft Word and Excel in Cocoon too, via
Apache POI (I never used that, though).