Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Wil <wi...@bownco.com> on 2000/07/29 21:07:08 UTC

dynamic security

Hi again,

On another note, i am anxiously awaiting the release of 3.2!
I added some simple stuff to 3.1 to do dynamic reloading of security
containers(web.xml) and tomcat-users.xml.
I did this so that i could write a web based security admin for a project.
Is anybody adding anything like this to 3.2?
I read a post a while back of sombody wanting to do a similar thing.

Wil Bown

RE: dynamic security

Posted by Wil <wi...@tech-inc.com>.
> Please take a look at DependManager and the new related changes. It's just
> a start, it needs more work.

+1! Looks like a good direction to go. Kind of accross the board solution.

> Note that changes in web.xml require a context restart ( since mappings
> may be different).

In fact, that is all i did. I just made the contextInit() available through
the request.
Although i did have to delete all the containers and memoryrealm first.

> We also need a bit of work on saving/restoring the state - right now there
> is support for session, but attributes are not saved.

Hmm...I didn't think of this stuff.

> Costin

Re: dynamic security

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

> On another note, i am anxiously awaiting the release of 3.2!
> I added some simple stuff to 3.1 to do dynamic reloading of security
> containers(web.xml) and tomcat-users.xml.

The dev branch can detect changes in web.xml, but I don't think that can
go into 3.2.

For tomcat-users - it should be easy ( and usefull ) to add this too,
but again, not in 3.2.