Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Elliotte Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu> on 2004/02/15 12:19:13 UTC

XOM nag e-mails

I noticed that XOM is now being buil in Gump:
<http://gump.covalent.net/log/xom.html>

Cool! Could you put me on the list for the nag e-mails from this
project? elharo@metalb.unc.edu. Thanks.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: XOM nag e-mails

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>
wrote:
> At 4:55 PM +0100 2/16/04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>>Yes, Gump send nags to multiple lists.  Which one would be most
>>appropriate?  Well, if you don't subscribe to them yourself, you
>>probably won't know either. 8-)
>
> Send it to CVS.

done.

> I wasn't quite sure exactly what Gump is (still not exactly
> sure).

I won't pretend that we are exactly sure, we are still finding out
what it is along the way.  It started out as a integration tool for
the various Jakarta and xml.apache projects and has outgrown this
purpose by far.

It has become more of a community integration project than a code
integration project by now as it is mainly invisible unless two
communities have to know of each other (because one breaks the code of
the other) and Gump is the one who tells them.

Stefan

Re: XOM nag e-mails

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.
At 4:55 PM +0100 2/16/04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>
>wrote:
>>  At 9:20 AM +0100 2/16/04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>>>Done using your address as the recipicient.  Maybe you'd prefer
>>>dev@xom.d.j.n or cvs@xom.d.j.n or even issues@xom.d.j.n instead?
>>>

>>  Not instead of. I don't actually subscribe or post to those mailing
>>  lists myself. The only java.net service I use is CVS. If you can add
>>  several nag e-mail addresses, then they could be added. Up to you.
>
>Yes, Gump send nags to multiple lists.  Which one would be most
>appropriate?  Well, if you don't subscribe to them yourself, you
>probably won't know either. 8-)

Send it to CVS. That would be the only one that has any traffic
already, or that anyone might want to subscribe to.

>But, big but, the current location is on donated hardware using
>donated bandwidth dedicated to Gump and I'd be very reluctant to make
>this a nightly build system for any project at all.

OK. I understand. I wasn't quite sure exactly what Gump is (still not
exactly sure). It's cool you're doing as much as you are. Thanks!
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu

Re: XOM nag e-mails

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
wrote:
> At 9:20 AM +0100 2/16/04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>>Done using your address as the recipicient.  Maybe you'd prefer
>>dev@xom.d.j.n or cvs@xom.d.j.n or even issues@xom.d.j.n instead?
>>

> Not instead of. I don't actually subscribe or post to those mailing
> lists myself. The only java.net service I use is CVS. If you can add
> several nag e-mail addresses, then they could be added. Up to you.

Yes, Gump send nags to multiple lists.  Which one would be most
appropriate?  Well, if you don't subscribe to them yourself, you
probably won't know either. 8-)

> Would Gump be interested in making nightly builds available?

The things that Gump builds are "nightly builds" of a very special
kind.  The XOM builds have been compiled against CVS HEAD versions of
the Servlet API for example.  It is possible (unlikely, but possible)
that this may break when the jar is used against an older version of
the same API.

> I notice you do that for some other projects.

You mean <http://gump.covalent.net/jars/latest/>?

The things we place there are those that have been marked
redistributable in the Gump descriptor.  To get this status, we (the
ASF) must be able to redistribute what we are building, and this
probably rules out LGPLed code - I'm not 100% sure about this.

But, big but, the current location is on donated hardware using
donated bandwidth dedicated to Gump and I'd be very reluctant to make
this a nightly build system for any project at all.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: XOM nag e-mails

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.
At 9:20 AM +0100 2/16/04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>Done using your address as the recipicient.  Maybe you'd prefer
>dev@xom.d.j.n or cvs@xom.d.j.n or even issues@xom.d.j.n instead?

Not instead of. I don't actually subscribe or post to those mailing
lists myself. The only java.net service I use is CVS. If you can add
several nag e-mail addresses, then they could be added. Up to you.

Would Gump be interested in making nightly builds available? I notice
you do that for some other projects.  It's something I've been
meaning to do for XOM, but haven't gotten around to yet.

Re: XOM nag e-mails

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Elliotte Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> I noticed that XOM is now being buil in Gump:
> <http://gump.covalent.net/log/xom.html>

We added it because it was needed by Jaxen IIRC - and easy to setup 8-)

>Could you put me on the list for the nag e-mails from this project?

Sure.

Asking whether you wanted nag mails was on my TODO list anyway since
XOM's build has been broken once or twice in the past.

http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/