Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/18 23:44:45 UTC

[VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

We are discussing this proposal in 3 or 4 threads, so I will not try to
recap everything.  Instead I will try to give a brief overview of the
problem and a proposal for solving it.

*Problem:*
The Apache CloudStack community needs additional github permissions in
order to integrate CI for the purpose of maintaining code quality.  The ASF
does not have enough granular control via the 'apache' github organization
to give the 'apache/cloudstack' repository the needed permissions.

*Proposal:*
Transfer ownership of the 'apache/cloudstack' mirrored repository out of
the 'apache' github organization into the 'apache-cloudstack' github
organization (which I have already setup and started inviting users to).
Both members of the ACS community and the ASF board will have 'owner'
permissions on this new organization.  This will allow for permissions to
be applied specifically to the 'apache-cloudstack' organization and not
have to be applied to the entire 'apache' organization.

By transferring ownership, all of the PRs will be copied to the new
repository and redirects will be created on github from 'apache/cloudstack'
to 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'.

The developer workflow and commit workflow will remain unchanged.  The
canonical ASF repository (git://git.apache.org/cloudstack.git) will remain
the source of truth and commits will be made to that repository.

Please ask if anything is unclear or needs to be better defined in order
for you to cast a vote.

Re: [VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.
+1 for the move to apache-cloudstack/cloudstack

[...]

DISCLAIMER
==========
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: [VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Note:
———

To be honest I never contemplated this move. Somehow it never occurred to me as a possibility.
But if the board and infra would let use move the mirror of the apache canonical repo to apache-cloudstack/cloudstack
then I think we would be all set.

Posted by Patrick Dube <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rene Moser <ma...@renemoser.net>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
+1 (binding)

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for all the support everyone.  This vote is now closed.  We have
unanimous support for this proposal with the following votes:

Totals
------
+1: 20 (including myself)
+0: 0
-1: 0

I have opened a support ticket with github to get a clearer understanding
of what the process will be to switch the mirror from 'git://
git.apache.org/cloudstack.git' to point to 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'
instead of 'apache/cloudstack' after the move.  I have not heard back from
them yet, so I will keep everyone updated with the details they outline
once they get back to me.

I will begin working with the ASF Infra team to work through the technical
and logistical details to make the move.

Cheers,

Will

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
+1
Good plan

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@accelerite.com>.
+1
I'd second that. Move to apache-cloudstack make sense.

Regards,
Sateesh Chodapuneedi
Chief Product Engineer, CloudPlatform Development, Accelerite.
Off: +91 80 6772 1329 | EMail: sateesh.chodapuneedi@accelerite.com
www.accelerite.com

DISCLAIMER
==========

Posted by "Tutkowski, Mike" <Mi...@netapp.com>.
+1

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
+1 Binding.

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
+1

Simon Weller/ENA
(615) 312-6068

Posted by Kishan Kavala <ki...@accelerite.com>.
+1 for the move.

Regards,
Kishan Kavala

Posted by chunfeng tian <ti...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Tian ChunFeng
http://cloud.domolo.com

Re: [VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Makes sense Shane if we can have that role shared amongst several people of
the PMC, not just one as you suggest.

--
Daan

Re: [VOTE] Move 'apache/cloudstack' -> 'apache-cloudstack/cloudstack'

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
... snip...