Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2001/03/29 15:47:24 UTC

side question

Greg... just curious.  What does it take to be able to "casually
browse" the head revision tree through a normal web browser?

I mean, is it just a matter of teaching mod_dav_svn to generate a
nice-looking HTML response when it receives a generic HTTP GET
request?

Re: side question

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:47:24AM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Greg... just curious.  What does it take to be able to "casually
> browse" the head revision tree through a normal web browser?

You can fetch any of the files right now. The directories are the problem.

> I mean, is it just a matter of teaching mod_dav_svn to generate a
> nice-looking HTML response when it receives a generic HTTP GET
> request?

Yup. That would be it.

Hmm... there is also a change to mod_dav that is needed. It assumes that a
directory cannot respond to GET, even if the backend (mod_dav_svn) wants to
do so.

So, two things:

1) tweak mod_dav to allow backends to generate content for collections
2) change mod_dav_svn's open_stream response to generate <whatever> for a
   collection.

I would suggest that we generate a *very* simple XHTML page. That would
allow a browser to usefully browse, yet also let code tear apart the XML for
automatic processing.

Cheers,
-g

--