Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/11/03 04:11:38 UTC

comments on vhost-examples

>   Migrating a name-based vhost to an IP-based vhost
>
>      * Setup: The name-based vhost with the hostname www.otherdomain.tld
>        should become its own IP address. To avoid problems with name
>        servers or proxies who cached the old IP address for the
>        name-based vhost we want to provide both variants during a
>        migration phase.
>        The solution is easy, because we can simply add the new IP address
>        (111.22.33.55) to the VirtualHost directive.
>        Server configuration:

I'm assuming you're modifying one of the earlier examples, could you include
an explicit mention of which example it is?

>     NameVirtualHost
      NameVirtualHost 111.22.33.44

>     <VirtualHost 111.22.33.44 111.22.33.55>
>     DocumentRoot /www/otherdomain
>     ServerName www.otherdomain.tld
>     </VirtualHost>

You should probably include another <VirtualHost 111.22.33.44> here
so that's it's more clear that this is a hybrid server.

>   Using the ServerPath directive
>
>      * Setup: We have a server with two name-based vhosts. In order to
>        match the correct virtual host a client must send the correct
>        Host: header. Old HTTP/1.0 clients do not send such a header and
>        Apache has no clue what vhost the client tried to reach (and
>        serves the request from the primary vhost). To provide as much
>        backward compatibility as possible we create a primary vhost which
>        returns a single page containing links with an URL prefix to the
>        name-based virtual hosts.

Oh this is a nicer way than what I did ... no redirect generation.

Cool!

Dean