Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Rafael Chies <rc...@redhat.com> on 2016/01/28 18:22:58 UTC

Consuming messages only after all messages from a group is sent

Hi folks,

I'm trying to see a feature on ActiveMQ where a consumer wants to consume a group of messages, but just really get the messages when all messages of the group was sent to the broker. I know some other brokers like IBM MQ-Series have this feature, an example here [1].

I was expecting that the usage of JMSXGroupID with JMSXGroupSeq could help me. I was expecting that I could start sending messages to a single JMSXGroupID, each message with its JMSXGroupSeq, and the consumer will receive all the messages just when I send the last message ( JMSXGroupSeq -1). But reading docs and testing, I can see this JMSXGroupSeq has no relevance for what I want. The sequence values are there just if the developer wants to use it after the message is consumed, being -1 the only value that is used by the broker, because it can now change the consumer for the group.

My question is, do we have any other way to achieve the same messaging group delivery that MQ-Series has?

Thanks in advance,

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0602_currie/0602_currie.html

--
Rafael Chies