Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Leonardo Palozzi <lp...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/12 01:19:37 UTC

XInclude nesting

Hi there,

I have 3 files (see below) where foo.xml includes bar.xml which
includes baz.xml. The inclusion fails when the include of bar.xml is
not made from within the root element of foo.xml.

When I run

  org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in foo.xml -xsl foo.xslt

I get the following error

  file:///C:/test/foo.xml; Line #5; Column #76; XSLT Error
(javax.xml.transform.TransformerException): Error attempting to parse
XML file (href='bar.xml').

When I run the same command against foo2.xml I get the expected
output.  Whats going on here?

Thanks.

---foo.xml (fails)
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<root>
  <foo>
    <xi:include href="bar.xml" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude"/>
  </foo>
</root>

---bar.xml
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<bar>
  <xi:include href="baz.xml" xmlns:xi= "http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude"/>
</bar>

--baz.xml
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<baz>234092384</baz>

---foo2.xml (OK)

Re: XInclude nesting

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Leonardo Palozzi <lp...@gmail.com> wrote on 03/14/2005 07:37:32 PM:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:30:53 -0500, Michael Glavassevich
> <mr...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> > This looks very much like a bug [1] that was recently fixed in CVS.
You

> Thanks Michael, I tried the latest gump and the bug has indeed been
fixed.

> Is there any assurance you can give me in terms of the gump's stability?

The GUMP process extracts the latest Xerces code from CVS every night and
builds it. It does the same with the rest of the Apache projects (as well
as others not from Apache). Though this helps flag compilation issues and
integration problems between projects, it's not an indicator of stability.
The GUMP builds are good for verifying bug fixes and also if you want to
stay on the bleeding edge of Xerces development.

> Is there an ETA on the next minor release?

We're currently working on Xerces 2.7.0. This will be the next major
release (there's no target release date yet). There currently are no plans
for a minor release.

> Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: XInclude nesting

Posted by Leonardo Palozzi <lp...@gmail.com>.

Re: XInclude nesting

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
This looks very much like a bug [1] that was recently fixed in CVS. You
may want to check whether this works with the lastest build [2]. Note that
the version of the XInclude processor in CVS implements the XInclude
Proposed Recommendation which went back to using the
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude" namespace.

Thanks.

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1044
[2] http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public-jars/xml-xerces2/

Leonardo Palozzi <lp...@gmail.com> wrote on 03/11/2005 07:19:37 PM:

> Hi there,
>
> I have 3 files (see below) where foo.xml includes bar.xml which
> includes baz.xml. The inclusion fails when the include of bar.xml is
> not made from within the root element of foo.xml.
>
> When I run
>
>   org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in foo.xml -xsl foo.xslt
>
> I get the following error
>
>   file:///C:/test/foo.xml; Line #5; Column #76; XSLT Error
> (javax.xml.transform.TransformerException): Error attempting to parse
> XML file (href='bar.xml').
>
> When I run the same command against foo2.xml I get the expected
> output.  Whats going on here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ---foo.xml (fails)
> <?xml version="1.0" ?>