Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Joachim Tingvold <jo...@komsys.org> on 2012/06/14 11:34:53 UTC

Re: [Drift] A lot of spam via mirrors-mailinglist?

On 14 Jun 2012, at 9:56, Wolfgang wrote:
> Who can post to this mailing group and why is there no spam check
> before messages got delivered?

Hi,

They probably don't send it to the mailing list, but directly to your
email. This is probably because the spammers scraped your email address
from the Issue Tracker[1]:

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4890>

And yes, it's publicly available.

I've also noticed that spam started flowing into our apache-specific
email address after I registered our mirror on the Issue Tracker. Maybe
the policy for this should be changed, or at least make the Issue
Tracker require a registration to browse it? (at least the
mirror-section).

[1] <https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa>

--
Joachim

Posted by "Matthew McGehrin -Reverse.Net-" <su...@reverse.net>.
Also this accessible using mail-archive. The 'raw' messages all have the
full e-mail addresses. Might have gotten scrapped from there as well,
from your initial posting of asking to become a mirror.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-mirrors/

-- Matthew

Re: A lot of spam via mirrors-mailinglist?

Posted by Bogdan Yurov <bo...@yurov.me>.
apache.yurov.me: no spam

--
Sorry for my poor english, my native language is C++.

Best regards,
Bogdan Yurov

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Laura Tallon <la...@eduserv.org.uk>.
Unsubscribe

Posted by Julien Christ <j....@nato.is.af>.

Posted by Joachim Tingvold <ap...@komsys.org>.
On 14 Jun 2012, at 12:43, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Is it not sufficient to simply obscure the email addresses when
> posting
> them to the issue tracker?
>
> Email address:  apache-mirror-admin [at] somedomain [dot] org

Some of the scrapers are probably smart enough to remove such
obfuscations. One solution could be to obfuscate the email entirely
(i.e. totally unreadable) if you're not logged into the Issue Tracker.

--
Joachim

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

?

Posted by Joachim Tingvold <ap...@komsys.org>.

Posted by Wolfgang <ap...@woifal.at>.
Hi Joachim!

On 2012-06-14 11:34, Joachim Tingvold wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2012, at 9:56, Wolfgang wrote:
>> Who can post to this mailing group and why is there no spam check
>> before messages got delivered?
>
> Hi,
>
> They probably don't send it to the mailing list, but directly to your
> email. This is probably because the spammers scraped your email
> address from the Issue Tracker[1]:
>
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-4890>
You're right! This must be the reason - I just wondered where they got
this email adress from - but I didn't remember that I postet it at the
Issue - you are right!
Sorry guys that I interrupted you via mailling-list - and yes the mail
is directly delivered directly to my E-Mail adress and not via the
mailling list!
Should have checked that before - sorry ;-)

Have a nice day.
Greetings from austria
Wolfgang