Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Minnie Haridasa <mi...@corp.earthlink.net> on 2005/03/28 22:22:11 UTC

ImportNode.. -Please help

I thought you may have a pointer or two regards to a strange issue.

We have a need to combine individual DOM into a single DOM and to do that I
use import node. I am creating a  DOM from the InputStream..

        java.io.InputStreamReader ir = new
java.io.InputStreamReader(in,"UTF-8");

        org.xml.sax.InputSource inputSource = new
org.xml.sax.InputSource(new java.io.BufferedReader(ir));

                    DocumentBuilder builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();

                    document = builder.parse(inputSource);

At the point where we combine the nodes, we get the root node from the
original DOM and attach it to the NEW DOM

Element root=  document.getDocumentElement();

dup = finalDocument.importNode(root, true);

but I get..

org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML
character is specified.

        at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.createElement(Unknown
Source)

        at org.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.importNode(Unknown Source)

How can I know what character the import node is complaining about ?

How can I make sure that the XML data I receive from the 3rd party does not
contain invalid XML data ?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated

Thanks

MH