Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> on 2022/02/24 09:47:03 UTC

A change in the website search - looking for feedback

Hi Cameleers,
Due to a change with our search provider we need to adjust how the
search functions on the website.

I'm asking folk to provide feedback on how the new version of the
search performs for their search needs. Please go to:

https://pr-724--camel.netlify.app

to try your typical search queries there and if you find something odd
please let me know on this thread. Please include the search term(s)
used and what you expected the result to be vs what was returned from
the search.

When examining the search results please do make sure that you're
still on the preview URL (https://pr-724--camel.netlify.app) as it is
easy to follow a link from the search result and land on the
production website (https://camel.apache.org) where the previous
search setup is used.

There is a work in progress change at GitHub pull request #724[1] for
those that wish to dive into details of this. The bits that can't be
seen on the pull request are over at Algolia. If someone wants to have
a look/contribute to those feel free to contact me and I can arrange
access (probably restrict to comitters at first).

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/724
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: A change in the website search - looking for feedback

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
just a heads up, I've merged the change and soon the new index will be
used. Please do keep the feedback coming by creating a new issue
against the website repository on GitHub[1]. Please include the
keywords used and the result you expected to see but did not get.

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/issues/new

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Claus,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 7:10 PM Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One feedback that I think we may consider is that Camel users would
> usually use a runtime such as Spring Boot, Quarkus or Camel K etc and
> then prefer if the search would be aware of this
> and filter the search to be only about that scope. The core camel
> project should be included as it is for all of Camel.

Thanks for the feedback. This would be a new feature that we would
need to implement and is orthogonal to the current crawling/indexing
change that I'm asking folk to provide feedback.

The support for faceted search is available with Algolia Crawler
change there would not be difficult to make. The UI for search we
currently use is custom-developed for the Camel website, as there were
issues with early version of Algolia-provided UIs which make users
download two orders of magnitude more JavaScript/CSS than the version
we built. The Algolia-provided UIs for search have components for
faceted search which we could take advantage of. Changing that to the
new v4 version of Algolia UI would be a larger task IMO.

zoran
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: EXT:Re: A change in the website search - looking for feedback

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Frank,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 8:57 AM Zinner, Frank Uwe Alfred
<fr...@externe.dfs.de> wrote:

> Hi I tried searching the documentation of components and got an error page.
>
> URI: https://pr-724--camel.netlify.app/components/latest/
>
> Error-Page Content:
>
> "This file exists solely to defeat the limitations of the link checker, that is unaware of the .htaccess redirect from this page to the latest released version.
> If you see this, you are not viewing the site through httpd or there is something wrong with the .htaccess file: in the latter case please let the camel developers know."

Thank you for the feedback. What you're seeing is a placeholder file
that we need to have in place in order for the link checker not to
report issues with missing `index.html` in the `.../latest/` path. On
the production website we're running Apache HTTPD and we have a
redirect rules that redirect from `.../latest/` to the latest release
version (right now 3.15.x), so the url changes from `.../latest/` to
`.../3.15.x/`.

These rules are Apache HTTPD-specific, so the preview websites and the
local previews do not support them.

There should not be any change to the inline search of the component
list which is not performed using Algolia. I should have been a bit
clearer in the original email, the search I'm referring to is the
search in the top right of every page that searches the whole website.

Anyways, thank you for your feedback and willingness to help :)

zoran

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Frank,

AW: EXT:Re: A change in the website search - looking for feedback

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Sollten Sie nicht der richtige Empfänger dieser E-Mail sein, löschen Sie diese bitte.

Re: A change in the website search - looking for feedback

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Claus,

--
Claus Ibsen