Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Coleman <mc...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/13 03:26:28 UTC

tomcat 3 speed issues with JDBC - servlets

hi, I have been using tomcat 3 ( i know its an older version) and I have
many servlets in which are querying/updating an access database using
JDBC... however, at first when i run my application, login, click around a
bit, the servlets take about less than 1 second to respond, and rightly so
as they are only being tested on the local host...

But, after ive been doing that for a few minutes, it starts to go really
slow, as if Im downloading from miles away on a 33.6k modem!! If i restart
the server its fine again, but then obviously goes slow eventually.

Im not sure if its the fact that its tomcat 3, or whether I have done
something wrong in database connectivity.

Ive always made sure that resultsets and the database connections are closed
off when necessary. Any advice/similar expieriences would be good.

pcspecs - pentium 3 866, 512mb ram, winxp, tomcat 3.2.4, jdk1.3.1

Also, I have tried to use tomcat 4.1.24, but whenever I add my application
folder into the webapps directory, the server never detects it like tomcat 3
versions did. Can anyone give me a hand on that?

cheers