Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rainer Völschow <rv...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/10 16:43:17 UTC

Deploy a project to multiple locations

Hello folks,

at my work I've got the task to develop a maven build script, that is
able to deploy a project to different server enviroments. According my
resaerch in the Internet, it seems that the maven-invoker-plugin is
the only once option for that. I visited the homepage of that plugin
serveral times, but I couldn't get any idea how can I achive this.
Where I'm stuck is, how can I get all defined profiles and pass it to
the invoke-plugin?

Thanks in Advance
Rainer

PS: Any alternatives idears to rech the goal are welcome. :-)

Re: Deploy a project to multiple locations

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.
This is actually best left to Jenkins, isnt it?

--
-- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br>
Master your EC2-fu! Get the latest ekaterminal public beta

Posted by Rainer Völschow <rv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Wayne,

you were right with you words that my goal is to distribut my project
to a location outside Maven.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:00:38 -0800
> From: stadelma@datazug.ch
> To: users@maven.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Deploy a project to multiple locations
>
> The thread shows different assumptions about " a project" because "deploying
> a project" needs to be clearly defined. The output of your maven build could
> be i.e. axis2.war, and that new version of axis2.war could be deployed to
> severla application servers i.e. apache tomcats application directory, where
> apache tomcat finds it and deploys it further inclusing activation of
> axis2-1.62.
>
> OR
>
> it could mean, when the axis2-1.6.2 sources haven been built and tested
> successfully on maven, then I would like to deploy the axis2-1.6.2 sources
> to several servers and initiate a maven build process there.

Martin>so if i read between the lines i *think* you want to change the deployable characteristics
Martin>as you deploy from one server to another
Martin>you can achieve that objective by manipulating the MANIFEST.MF for the war
Martin>and use maven-war-plugin to create custom MANIFEST.MF and then to build the war

Martin>http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/manifest-mojo.html
> OK - why should you do so? But just as an example, because I do not know
> what you mean when you refere to "a project" or "to deploy a project".
>
> What is your project ? What is expected at the remote servers?
>
> Josef

Martin>I agree with Josef there are way to many unknowns
Martin>ask your client what axis2.war characteristics are expected at the remote servers
Martin>*Viel Gluck*

Re: Deploy a project to multiple locations

Posted by Rainer Völschow <rv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jörg,

> first you should be more precise on what you really want to do, e.g. by making
> an example.

I have web project that contains some subprojects. As

The super-pom calls the pom.xml from the subprojects and invoke they.
Each single project are more or less indiependet from each other and
they can be built and installed seaperatly.
The system architecture is configured as follows: a local instance on
your own computer and another fore instance with different URIs. If
you want to install the current version on all servers you have to
start the building process more than one times or you do it manually.
(of couse you can use the particular commandline option). For more
comfort I've got the task to develop a maven script that is able to
read the profil properties from settings.xml. So there is only "one
mouse click" nessecary to deploy they on all enviroments.

Rainer

PS: To prevent misunderstanding: The software works in a content
management system, that contains its own servlet container.

Posted by Jörg Hohwiller <jo...@j-hohwiller.de>.
Hi everybody,

Posted by Rainer Völschow <rv...@gmail.com>.
Hello Patrick,

thanks for the idea. I will it suggest to the project team. Maybe they
will change thrier mind

Posted by Patrick Turcotte <pt...@rlnx.com>.
Hi Rainer,

As simple as

mvn -P profileName

So your batch file could look like
mvn -P profileToDeployOnServer1
mvn -P profileToDeployOnServer2
mvn -P profileToDeployOnServer3

For more info, take a look at

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

Patrick

On 13-01-11 05:39 AM, Rainer Völschow wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> one part of my question was, how can I pass the profiles to pom.xml
>
>> If what you want is to deploy a war with different servers (possibly with
>> different configurations), you could use profiles.
> It seems there is no way that I can use Maven only. So I go into
> myself and try to look for an alternative way.
>
> 2013/1/10 Patrick Turcotte <pt...@rlnx.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If what you want is to deploy a war with different servers (possibly with
>> different configurations), you could use profiles.
>>
>> And if you want to do it for all of them in one go, you could write a script
>> (bat, bash) that would wrap it.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

>> On 13-01-10 10:43 AM, Rainer Völschow wrote:
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> at my work I've got the task to develop a maven build script, that is
>>> able to deploy a project to different server enviroments. According my
>>> resaerch in the Internet, it seems that the maven-invoker-plugin is
>>> the only once option for that. I visited the homepage of that plugin
>>> serveral times, but I couldn't get any idea how can I achive this.
>>> Where I'm stuck is, how can I get all defined profiles and pass it to
>>> the invoke-plugin?
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance
>>> Rainer
>>>
>>> PS: Any alternatives idears to rech the goal are welcome. :-)

>> --
>> Patrick Turcotte
>> Directeur technologique

Patrick Turcotte
Directeur technologique
patrick.turcotte@revolutionlinux.com
(819) 780-8955, poste 1129
Sans frais 1-800-996-8955, poste 1129

Re: Deploy a project to multiple locations

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
BTW we are assuming (and this is an assumption) that you don't need to
change your artifact for each deployment artifact.

If you need to "tweak" the artifact for each deployment destination then
you actually need to create a separate module for each deployment
destination, as using profiles to modify the built artifact is a bad plan
(see
http://developer-blog.cloudbees.com/2012/11/maven-profiles-and-maven-way.html)

-Stephen

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
ship-maven-plugin@mojo

Posted by Rainer Völschow <rv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
Agreed .. ideally your build publishes an environment independent package
to a repository server and then your deployment tool retrieves it from
there and deploys it in all your environments.

This could be Maven on both sides but there are other tools better suited
for deployment e.g.. puppet, chef, cfengine or even rpm packages with yum
(try Nexus 2.3 with that..)

If you really cant (or dont want to) do that I would suggest to still push
an environment independency war to your repo and then if you want to use
Maven again (not ideal but possible) .. have separate modules and e.g. use
the war plugin with the overlay feature to apply the configuration and
then farm it out to whereever..

Just my 2c

manfred

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.