Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Darrell Burgan <Da...@infor.com> on 2014/04/09 23:11:10 UTC

Solr 4.3.1 snapshot ate up disk space

Hello, just a quick question about the expected behavior of the SnapShooter. We're running Solr 4.3.1 in a SolrCloud configuration, with two separate virtual machines running Solr and three Zookeepers in various places. Our search index is about 70GB in size. Today I took a snapshot of just one of the servers by running the following command:

http://servername:12080/solr/replication?command=backup&location=/some/folder

It correctly copied about 70GB of data to /some/folder. I then deleted /some/folder from the command line, but noticed that I was still short 70GB of disk space. I looked in the data folder for Solr and there are some large index folders in there that weren't there before.  For example:

drwxrwxr-x 2 paadmin paadmin  4096 Feb 22 18:50 index.20140222184949183
drwxrwxr-x 2 paadmin paadmin 24576 Apr  9 15:58 index.20140324114121829
drwxrwxr-x 2 paadmin paadmin 12288 Apr  9 14:52 index.20140409142113338
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paadmin paadmin    78 Mar 24 12:02 index.properties
-rw-rw-r-- 1 paadmin paadmin   421 Apr  9 15:21 replication.properties
drwxrwxr-x 2 paadmin paadmin  4096 Apr  9 16:02 tlog

The net result is that now one of our two Solr servers has 127GB free space but the other only has 63GB free space.

Should I be expecting Solr to clean up these index folders the next time it does compaction/optimization? Or am I expected to clean them up? Was I wrong to use the SnapShooter? I'm very hesitant to start deleting stuff in my Solr data folder, but need to recover this disk space so Solr doesn't run out of temp space.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts ..... !

Darrell

Darrell Burgan | Chief Architect, PeopleAnswers
office: 214 445 2172 | mobile: 214 564 4450 | fax: 972 692 5386 | darrell.burgan@infor.com<ma...@infor.com> | http://www.infor.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This email (including any attachments) is confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete this message in its entirety. Thank you for your cooperation.