Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Passey <kp...@kdpsoftware.co.uk> on 2003/06/10 13:19:59 UTC

Tomcat working with apache

Has anybody go this working from this info

http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/jk2/jk2/confighowto.html

Thanks

Kevin

Re: JK2, which is the best way to build it?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
When I build the connectors, I get the source from here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/

I'm not sure if that is the best place, but it has worked for me.

To build the connectors, in general:

- cd to CONNECTORSRC_HOME/jk/native2 (CONNECTORSRC_HOME = wherever you put
the source)

- run ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

- run make

- your mod_jk2.so file should be in CONNECTORSRC_HOME/jk/build/jk2/apache2/

I typically put the source here:

/usr/local/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk2-2.0.2-src

I just tried it on throwaway server with RH 7.2 and Apache 2.0.44 and it
worked like a champ.

John

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:43:08 +0100, JD Evora <jd...@saadian.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for you answer and sorry for not be specific enough,
>
> Yes, I am looking for how to compile just the Apache modules (mod_jk2),
> because the binary distribution directories for Linux are empty and I
> read somewhere that with Apache 2  you have to compile the modules for an
> specific version (2.0.46 in my case).
>
> The only thing I am not sure about is why the tomcat distribution (method
> #1) has the mod_jk2 version 2.0.4  and dedicated jakarta-tomcat-
> connectors site (method #2) has the version 2.0.2.
>
> Is the later site http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-
> connectors/jk2/   "deprecated"?
>
> Cheers  and sorry if I am "looking too hard"
> JD
>

> John Turner wrote:
>

>> Depends on what you mean by "connectors".
>>
>> Keep in mind that there are different "connectors".  There are Apache
>> modules, like mod_jk and mod_jk2, and there are Tomcat Connectors which
>> are Java classes like org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector and
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.http10.HttpConnector.
>>
>> Unless you are wishing to make changes to Tomcat source, there's no need
>> to deal with building any of the Tomcat Connectors (org.apache.*).  A
>> binary install of Tomcat has them built already.
>>
>> That leaves the Apache modules, mod_jk and mod_jk2.  Unless you can't
>> find a binary there's no need to build them from source unless you want
>> to as a preference.  If you do want to build them from source, then
>> option #1 in your list is what you want to do.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:09:41 +0100, JD Evora <jd...@saadian.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Looking for information about how to build the JK2 connector, and I saw
>>> two ways to do it:
>>> * Using the tomcat connectors; downloading
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-
>>> connectors/jk2/release/v2.0.2/src/jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk2-2.0.2-

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
JD,

I just downloaded the 4.1.24 connectors source and
could not get the ant task to build.  It fails while
in mod_jk.  It appears that there is at least one
include file missing, but I have not taken the time to
debug it.

However, if you change directories to
<distribution>/jk/native2 and do the following,
mod_jk2 will build.

1. chmod u+x buildconf.sh
2. ./buildconf.sh
3. ./configure --with-apxs2=<location-of-apxs> \
               --with-tomcat41=<location-of-tomcat41>
\
               --with-java-home=<location-of-java>
4. make

mod_jk2.so and jkjni.so will be in
<distribution>/jk/build/jk2/apache2

They seem to be a little smaller than the ones built
from the connectors source.

TCP socket connections work fine on Redhat 9, but I am
still unable to get UNIX sockets (unresolved symbol
apr_md5_final) or inprocess communication to work.

I'll probably experiment more with it this afternoon.
I am thinking this is an artifact of the way libraries
are installed via Redhat rpms.

Please note that I am using apache 2.0.46 built from
source with the following configure command:

./configure --with-mod-ssl=shared --with-modules=all
--with-shared=most

I am not using the Redhat rpms for apache.

For Redhat 9, you'll need to set an environment
variable:

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/kerberos/include

to get the appropriate encryption routines to compile
for httpd-2.0.46.

Please also note that http://localhost/server-info/
reports mod_jk2 as 2.0.3-dev when built from
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.24-src.

/mde/
just my two cents . . . .

Re: JK2, which is the best way to build it?

Posted by JD Evora <jd...@saadian.com>.
Hi,

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by JD Evora <jd...@saadian.com>.