Posted to user@drill.apache.org by John Schneider <js...@apixio.com> on 2015/08/02 05:26:44 UTC

is there a document that describes Drill's JSON schema change abilities

Hi All,

Is there a pointer to a document that describes Drill's strengths and
weaknesses
handling JSON data sources, particularly when it comes to "schema change".
My
use case is log processing and while my logs have a high degree of
similarity,
logs are what they are and there are differences and so I routinely get
messages
like:

0: jdbc:drill:drillbit=drill.apixio.com> select * from
dfs.`user`.`/logmaster/production/hcc/2015-07-30/` t where t.level =
'ERROR';

Java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: DATA_READ ERROR: Error
parsing JSON - You tried to start when you are using a ValueWriter of type
NullableVarCharWriterImpl.

0: jdbc:drill:drillbit=drill.apixio.com> select * from
dfs.`user`.`/logmaster/production/hcc/2015-07-29/` t where t.level =
'ERROR';

Error: DATA_READ ERROR: Error parsing JSON - You tried to write a BigInt
type when you are using a ValueWriter of type NullableVarCharWriterImpl.

there are quite a few different error types that come from the same log
files which I presume is due to different schema transitions

Thanks!

_____________

john o schneider
jos@apixio.com
408-203-7891

Re: is there a document that describes Drill's JSON schema change abilities

Posted by John Schneider <js...@apixio.com>.
Thank you Tomer, Kristine and Jacques

john o schneider
jos@apixio.com