Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by albiii <ab...@ll.mit.edu> on 2009/03/23 16:30:26 UTC

tunneling ?

I have written a Camel Component for a proprietary protocol, it works well
enough.   I would like to write a new component that accepts other protocols
to tunnel through it.   Has anyone given any though to how one might go
about doing that with Camel ?

Re: tunneling ?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:30 PM, albiii <ab...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:

> I have written a Camel Component for a proprietary protocol, it works well
> enough.   I would like to write a new component that accepts other protocols
> to tunnel through it.   Has anyone given any though to how one might go
> about doing that with Camel ?
Hi

That is a generic problem that Camel dont impose any restrictions to
how to solve.

There is a SSH sub project at Mina, that might be a help:
http://mina.apache.org/sshd/

And there is a JSCH java library for all kind of SSH stuff.
The website is something with jcraft.

I suggest you get a solution up and running without Camel and then
afterwards we can look how it can be integrated with Camel.

Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Re: tunneling ?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
It very much depends on the proprietary protocol & the other protocol
being tunnelled over it. For example, tunnelling protocols over HTTP
is quite simple if the protocol as some kind of Message object you can
marshall; you can just send the messages from a protocol as some kind
of serialized MIME payload over HTTP. We do this with OpenWire
protocol over HTTP - using XStream to do the marshalling. But in
general its a non trivial task to take any protocol and tunnel it over
any other protocol.

--
James
-------