Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Garbage <ga...@gmx.de> on 2012/04/28 23:20:34 UTC

Interceptor for searches to dynamically populate with Data ?

I read about the concept of interceptors but could not find the detail if they can be activated when a search is carried out.
My intention is to collect data from multiple (non-LDAP) sources and make them accessible via a LDAP interface. Because only a changing fraction of the data is needed every day and I can't tell in advance which is needed I don't want to load all of the data into the LDAP.
The idea is to intercept the call for "cn=johndoe", search johns data in the mentioned sources / repositories and add if to the LDAP. After that the query can be carried out and the data delivered to the client.

And here are my questions:
1) did I understand the concept of interceptors correctly ?
2) is it possible to intercept searches ?
3) does the interface for interceptors change between ApacheDS 1.5 and 2.0 ?
4) do you see any performance drawbacks in my idea ? Let's assume the retrieval from the sources takes 0 ms, will I experience a delay between importing the data and the point in time when it is retrievable from the LDAP ? Or will it perhaps not be available because of update / caching effects ?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Interceptor for searches to dynamically populate with Data ?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.
Kiran Ayyagari
On Apr 29, 2012 2:51 AM, "Garbage" <ga...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I read about the concept of interceptors but could not find the detail if
they can be activated when a search is carried out.
> My intention is to collect data from multiple (non-LDAP) sources and make
them accessible via a LDAP interface. Because only a changing fraction of
the data is needed every day and I can't tell in advance which is needed I
don't want to load all of the data into the LDAP.
> The idea is to intercept the call for "cn=johndoe", search johns data in
the mentioned sources / repositories and add if to the LDAP. After that the
query can be carried out and the data delivered to the client.

> And here are my questions:
> 1) did I understand the concept of interceptors correctly ?
yes
> 2) is it possible to intercept searches ?
yes
> 3) does the interface for interceptors change between ApacheDS 1.5 and
2.0 ?
yes and no, some package reorg was performed in 2.0 where as the method
signatures are mostly unchanged
> 4) do you see any performance drawbacks in my idea ?
it depends on how much time the retrieval and subsequent message
transformation takes
Let's assume the retrieval from the sources takes 0 ms, will I experience a
delay between importing the data and the point in time when it is
retrievable from the LDAP ? Or will it perhaps not be available because of
update / caching effects ?

can you be more precise in what you mean by 'importing' that part is not
entirely clear to me