Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by nik franke <nf...@MIT.EDU> on 2001/04/25 16:37:43 UTC

NO SPAM - just a reminder (MIT study on Apache Open Source Software)

Dear Apache User:

A few days ago we sent you a mail with an attached questionnaire about Apache
security features (see below). If you already answered it, thank you very much
for your help! If not: it would be great if you could help us the next days!

Your reward will come in heaven (much, much later!) and in the form of a
WONDERFUL MIT T-SHIRT (now!) :-) (size and shipping information in the
questionnaire). Thank you!! If you are interested we will be happy to send you
a summary of the results.

http://opensource.mit.edu/apachesurvey/index2.html

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this study please contact us
at: nfranke@mit.edu or 617 253-6370.
Thank you very much and best regards

Eric von Hippel
Nik Franke

A note from Ben Hyde, member of the Apache Software Foundation

This note is a quick "letter of introduction" for the attached survey. The
folks at MIT asked that I introduce them since they are afraid you all will
flame, or ignore them. Don't disappoint them, flame away :-).

Eric von Hippel has been doing some fascinating work over the last several
years on how new product innovation takes place. The primary conclusion of
that
work has been that more often than not the real innovation comes from users of
products rather than from the companies that build them. In a sense the
companies aggregate the innovations provided by their customers and turn
around
and sell them back.
Not surprisingly Eric and his friends at MIT have gotten pretty interested in
Open Source. You could argue that what Open Source does is cut out the
middleman in the process. To focus on their work on Open Source they have
founded the MIT Open Source Research Lab.
I'm looking forward to seeing the result of the following survey, please help
us all by filling it out.

Ben Hyde
Apache Software Foundation

Dear Apache users:

This questionnaire deals with Apache security features and will take 15-20
minutes to fill out. All information will be treated as confidential and will
not be used for any commercial purpose.

http://opensource.mit.edu/apachesurvey/index2.html

We greatly appreciate your co-operation. If you are interested we will be
happy
to send you a summary of the results - just enter your e-mail address at the
end of the questionnaire. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this