Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/07/19 14:39:17 UTC

win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

I've not built subversion on win32 for about 7 months, and I was afraid,
because the 1.1 build system has changed a lot.  But this morning, it
only took me an hour to step through the instructions in the INSTALL
file.

I unpacked httpd-2.0.49 and svn 1.1.0-rc1 release tarballs, and
everything "just worked".  And it was all built from the VC6
commandline, no less -- I never saw the visual environment once.  No
hitches, no snags.  Major kudos to our win32 build-system developers!
And even more kudos to whomever wrote the "new" win32 instructions in
INSTALL!

In any case, I've uploaded the win32 1.1.0-rc1 binaries to the usual
win32 directory:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91

Please, give them a whirl.  Let me know that they're working properly.

-Ben

RE: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by Arild Fines <ar...@broadpark.no>.
Martin Tomes wrote:
>  This discussion has been had before, to break free of Visual
> Studio
> another build system would have to be used on Win32 and that would be
> lot of work.

There is a command line tool here that claims to be able to build VC++7.1
solutions from the command line: http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/cplusplus/

Re: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Emmanuel-G BLOT wrote:

>> I unpacked httpd-2.0.49 and svn 1.1.0-rc1 release tarballs, and
>> everything "just worked".  And it was all built from the VC6
>> commandline, no less -- I never saw the visual environment once.  No
>> hitches, no snags.  Major kudos to our win32 build-system developers!
>> And even more kudos to whomever wrote the "new" win32 instructions in
>> INSTALL!
>>
> Have you ever tried with the free 7.x compiler ?
> If SVN can be built without any IDE, that would be nice if the new
> compiler, which is available for free, could be used:
> it produces more efficient binaries and far more important... it is free !
> ( I never tried )

The current build uses the IDE - you just don't see it!  The generated
build scripts are interpreted by the msdev command and msdev is the IDE.
  This discussion has been had before, to break free of Visual Studio
another build system would have to be used on Win32 and that would be a
lot of work.

--
Martin

Re: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by "Jared W. Robinson" <jw...@xmission.com>.
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 06:51:19PM +0300, Ivan-Assen Ivanov wrote:
> MSVC7.1 has the /GS switch, which reduces the possibility of buffer
> overflow attacks.  Which, in the case of server software like
> Subversion, is even more important than efficiency...

If you read either "Exploiting Software" pp. 57-65 or "Shellcoder's
Handbook" pp.  161-167, you'll have much less confidence in the /GS
switch. The sad truth is that using that switch can make it /easier/ to
exploit vulnerabilities. Maybe the next release of MSDev will improve
the /GS switch -- but who knows, really.

- Jared

RE: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by Ivan-Assen Ivanov <as...@haemimontgames.com>.
> >I unpacked httpd-2.0.49 and svn 1.1.0-rc1 release tarballs, and
> >everything "just worked".  And it was all built from the VC6
> >commandline, no less -- I never saw the visual environment once.  No
> >hitches, no snags.  Major kudos to our win32 build-system developers!
> >And even more kudos to whomever wrote the "new" win32
> instructions in
> >INSTALL!
> >

> Have you ever tried with the free 7.x compiler ?
> If SVN can be built without any IDE, that would be nice if
> the new compiler, which is available for free, could be used:
> it produces more efficient binaries and far more important...
> it is free !
> ( I never tried )

I second the recommendation.

Posted by Emmanuel-G BLOT <em...@st.com>.
>I unpacked httpd-2.0.49 and svn 1.1.0-rc1 release tarballs, and
>everything "just worked".  And it was all built from the VC6
>commandline, no less -- I never saw the visual environment once.  No
>hitches, no snags.  Major kudos to our win32 build-system developers!
>And even more kudos to whomever wrote the "new" win32 instructions in
>INSTALL!

Have you ever tried with the free 7.x compiler ?
If SVN can be built without any IDE, that would be nice if the new
compiler, which is available for free, could be used:
it produces more efficient binaries and far more important... it is free !
( I never tried )

Thanks,
Manu

Re: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:24:44PM -0400, François_Beausoleil wrote:
> I gave them a whirl, as you suggested, and I hit a snag.  Over on dev, I
> posted the following:
>
> [BUG] Commit message editor stuck in loop when no save or empty message
> http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svn/archive-2004-07/0891.shtml
>
> > $ svn ci
> >
> > Log message unchanged or not specified
> > a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit
> >
> > Log message unchanged or not specified
> > a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit
> >
> > $ svn --version
> > svn, version 1.1.0 (Release Candidate 1)
> >    compiled Jul 19 2004, 09:03:26
> >
> > The gist of it is that with 1.0.5, I exit the editor without saving, and
> > Subversion would wait for me to say "Continue, Abort" or "Edit".  Now,
> > it doesn't wait anymore.  It simply pops the editor again.

Should be fixed in r10431 and will be included in 1.1.0-rc2.  Thanks.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: win32 svn 1.1.0-rc1 binaries posted

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.
Hello Ben,

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> In any case, I've uploaded the win32 1.1.0-rc1 binaries to the usual
> win32 directory:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91
>
> Please, give them a whirl.  Let me know that they're working properly.

Hello Ben,

I gave them a whirl, as you suggested, and I hit a snag.  Over on dev, I
posted the following:

[BUG] Commit message editor stuck in loop when no save or empty message
http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svn/archive-2004-07/0891.shtml

 > $ svn ci
 >
 > Log message unchanged or not specified
 > a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit
 >
 > Log message unchanged or not specified
 > a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit
 >
 > $ svn --version
 > svn, version 1.1.0 (Release Candidate 1)
 >    compiled Jul 19 2004, 09:03:26
 >
 > The gist of it is that with 1.0.5, I exit the editor without saving, and
 > Subversion would wait for me to say "Continue, Abort" or "Edit".  Now,
 > it doesn't wait anymore.  It simply pops the editor again.

Bye,
François