Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Diego Pietralunga <di...@ltt.it> on 2004/06/22 12:44:05 UTC

Mail duplication and basic James processor behavior

Hi,

I have a question on the core James behavior when processing mails. I've
run across this while developing a mailet-powered application.

Basically:

Shouldn't  MailImpl.duplicate(String) duplicate the Mail object
_including_  its state?

Due to the core James bahavior when processing Mails in
LinearProcessor.java which creates a bunch of "notRecipents" after the
matcher has executed, those "notRecipients" are inserted as recipents
for the duplicated Mail object but the Mail object is in DEFAULT state
(so root processor).
So in case of a custom processor the unmatched (duplicated) Mail object
does not proceed in that processor for processing (logs seem to confirm
that).
Doesn't this break the mail processing pipeline logic? (Maybe also
impacting performance?)

P.S.=I'm not a James expert, so forgive if misunderstood.

Code Pointers:
James build: 2.2.0 -  james-with-phoenix-2.2.0-src.tar.gz from
http://mirror.tomato.it/apache/james/james-with-phoenix-2.2.0-src.tar.gz

MailImpl.java  - line 231

LinearProcessor.java - line389

Regards,