Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Till <ti...@westmann.org> on 2013/07/10 21:36:30 UTC

July 2013 report

Hi,

the July 2013 report is ready for review and/or sign-off at:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/July2013

Cheers,
Till

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>wrote:

> What kind of Mentor activity do you think VXQuery would benefit from?

I don't think, there are any pressing issues. Basically, as I know from my
own experience, you can feel kinda lost, if mentors aren't actively
participating in every day's issues, which I am clearly not.

Jochen

--
"That's what prayers are ... it's frightened people trying to make friends
with the bully!"

Terry Pratchett. The Last Hero

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:
> Yes, release votes are one point, another point is that we could probably
> avoid asking for votes for more than one RC on general@i.a.o if we had more
> ASF-experienced eyes looking at it on the dev list.
>
> Wrt to the other points you mentioned, collaboration seems generally
> effective (albeit not always on the list), technical infrastructure is not a
> big problem, and most things I learn about ASF culture I learn from
> discussions on general@i.a.o.
>
> I think that the mentor activity that we could benefit from is the
> occasional benevolent hint on how to make things work more smoothly within
> the ASF.

OK, I'll indulge, then[1]. :)

I think you're right to prioritize getting a release out the door.  Releases
are important not just for the features, but also for regenerating the energy
around a product in the wider community.  "Real artists ship." -- Steve Jobs

Since you've made it as far as creating two release candidates, presumably
there is not anything structural (such as a stalled code grant) holding things
up.  Here's where the two previous release candidate vote threads ended:

    http://markmail.org/message/d6r7ucnymzlzun62
    http://markmail.org/message/fmy7zw6gmm2ahozp

Getting a first incubating release out can be labor-intensive and the process
is sometimes frustrating.  Wrangling IPMC votes is a hassle, and it gets
harder the longer a podling is incubation because Mentors, like all
open-source contributors, come and go.  Even for podling contributors who are
truly voracious consumers of Apache documentation, it's hard to produce a
release candidate which encounters no objections from IPMC members.

Nevertheless, dozens of other podlings have bulled their way through this
phase.  The IPMC may not be as efficient or as coherent as we would like it to
be; things may not go "smoothly".  However, if there is sufficient energy
behind VXQuery (and no legal blockers with regards to the code base), your
release *will* get through eventually.  And while occasionally a podling will
have a Mentor who brings that kind of energy, that's not our expectation for
those who fill the Mentor role -- most often, it is the podling's core
contributors who must provide the push and sustain the momentum.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] We sometimes have problems where IPMC members who are not Mentors assigned
    to a specific podling provide guidance which is at odds with what the
    podling's Mentors have advised.  Let's hope that the content of this mail
    is suitably general and non-controversial.

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Hello Marvin,

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Hello Marvin,

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hello, Till,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:
> actually my remark in the report was less about the activity of you, the
> active mentor, than about the fact that you are the only one. So "more than
> one active mentor" would have been a better wording.

What kind of Mentor activity do you think VXQuery would benefit from?  Once a
podling gets through the early stages of incubation (particularly the first
release), there tend to be relatively few obvious blocking issues that require
multiple Mentors.  I was a little concerned that no Mentors had signed off on
the report, but there was a small window for that to happen this report cycle
because I messed up some due dates, and in any case Jochen has now taken care
of things and is apparently active elsewhere.

Are you having difficulty getting releases reviewed?  (That's a classic pain
point for podlings that have been around for a while.)  By the way, when was
the last release?  "Date of last release" is in the podling report template,
but it wasn't in the report that was filed.  I tried to figure it out by
looking at <http://incubator.apache.org/projects/vxquery.html> but it wasn't
there, nor was there an obvious download page on the podling website at
<http://incubator.apache.org/vxquery/>.

Are community members not collaborating effectively, perhaps providing an
opportunity for a Mentor to coach?

Are questions about ASF culture, infrastructure, institutions, etc that are
going unanswered?  Or is the podling fumbling around because they don't know
what questions to ask?

Are there perhaps activities that are really the responsibility of the
community, but which a Mentor might optionally take on?  I'm thinking of
things like evangelism, publicity and such.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: July 2013 report

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hello, Till,