Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> on 2003/03/15 22:37:35 UTC

Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar

I don't claim to be a Java expert, so take what I say with a grain
of salt, but why are jars being checked into CVS?

-aaron

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Scott Cantor wrote, On 16/03/2003 2.20:
> Not having /usr/lib, library versioning, etc. is among the most obnoxious things about Java, IMHO.

*sigh*

But we're getting there :-D

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> Anyway, I'm curious: since I develop only java and I don't use other
> languages since the universtity (so take this question with the same
> grain of salt ;-) , what would have you thought could have been done
> instead of putting the jar in CVS?

You document your dependencies, use autoconf or something like that to detect them, and expect your developers to have the
wherewithal to get what they need.

Not having /usr/lib, library versioning, etc. is among the most obnoxious things about Java, IMHO.

-- Scott

Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote, On 19/03/2003 18.16:
>>Do jars in CVS suck? They do.
>>Does downloading all that stuff suck. Sure it does.
>>
>>repository@apache.org already has working codebases that give a solution
>>to this problem to choose from. What we need is to set up the
>>infrastructure.
>
> Or switch to Maven.

Or use Krysalis Ruper.
Or use Ant get task.
Or...

Maven is not operating the repository in Apache. We should have the
releases of our files start from Apache with a chain of trust. That's
what we have to set up, by having project place the jars in the mirror
system and use those.

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> Do jars in CVS suck? They do.
> Does downloading all that stuff suck. Sure it does.
>
> repository@apache.org already has working codebases that give a solution
> to this problem to choose from. What we need is to set up the
> infrastructure.

Or switch to Maven.

- Paul

Re: cvs commit: incubator-altrmi/lib/optional excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote, On 19/03/2003 16.31:

> On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 11:47  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> If they are the product of another project, then the developer
>>> would just download and build/install that other project.
>>

>> Hmmm, so here start the problems. A Java project can have a lot of
>> dependencies, and making all developers download all these projects
>> and use them has been found out to be a major PITA and time killer.
>>
>> As for installing... well java deliverables are never installed, just
>> copied in the right dir.
>
> I really don't think we should be polluting CVS with JARs because
> the developers on a project are too lazy to download and copy a jar
> to the right directory.

If a developer downloads Cocoon and wants to build it, he has to track
down something like 50-60 jars, and some he has to build himself from a
dated CVS version (yes we do live on the edge).

It's really impractical, and hampers our possibility of having
developers take a peek and get interested.

>>> As for these particular jars, where do they come from and what
>>> do they do? (And who owns them?)
>>

>> The one pointed out by your original mail
>>
>>   excalibur-lifecycle-1.0.jar
>>
>> comes from Apache Avalon Excalibur Lifecycle.
>
> So this jar available directly as a download from elsewhere the ASF?

No, it has to be built from Avalon CVS.

>> Most of the projects depend mainly on Apache jars, but there are also
>> jars from many other OS projects.
>
> I would think we would be very resistive to putting jars from non-ASL
> projects into our CVS repository. I don't think we want to blur the
> lines of "distribution" to invoke any licensing clauses in the other
> open-source Jars we use.
>
> Here are the problems I see with importing jars to CVS:
>
> 1) it wastes huge amounts of harddrive space

true

> 2) it becomes difficult and resource intensive to track minor changes in
> those jars

Nope. We name them with the versions, so it's actually quite easy.

> 3) we unintentionally become a possible "distribution" site

Unlikely that CVS is used for "distribution", although legally it stands
IIUC but IANAL.

> 4) other license issues with the checked-in jars are unknown

They are known, or at least should be. The problem is the "should",
because PMCs with a high number of subprojects did not iversee correctly
for obvious practical reasons.

> So far, I think this far outweighs the benefits:
>
> 1) easier for developers to build the project

Hmmm, it's not making easier to build, but for new ones or ones that
work on it not every day to start easily.

Anyway, I'm just trying to explain why this situation arised. It is
driven by real need, not by laziness.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote, On 17/03/2003 8.25:

> On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 02:50  PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm curious: since I develop only java and I don't use other
>> languages since the universtity (so take this question with the same
>> grain of salt ;-) , what would have you thought could have been done
>> instead of putting the jar in CVS?
>

> If they are a product of the project, then they would just be a local
> dependency of the build system.

Yes.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote, On 15/03/2003 22.37:
> I don't claim to be a Java expert, so take what I say with a grain
> of salt, but why are jars being checked into CVS?

*sigh* this is a thing that is haunting java for quite some time now.
The fact is that for compilation we need these libraries to be present,
and to make it easy and consistent for all, the easiest and most
effective solution uptodate has been to put them in CVS. Some projects
go to extremes and also put in the build system (usually Ant).

Now there are systems that are growing fast that want to make this not
necessary anymore, like Maven, Ruper (that has now been proposed to
Ant), and the new repository@apache.org effort.

We'll soon see these jars in CVS go away, one way or the other :-)