Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2002/04/12 19:26:16 UTC

PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Can we provide the following text from the bugzilla welcome page
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/ ... even if we place it below the usual
buttons?  [If it should appear below the first page's form, a big link to
#policies at the top of the page would be nice.]

   Do NOT submit a problem report without searching the existing ones first
   to ensure that the issue you are reporting has not already been addressed

   Do NOT send configuration questions or requests for help debugging your
   installation, locate the appropriate users support mailing list or
newsgroup
   instead.

   Do NOT report security vulnerabilities through this form!  Send all security
   vulnerability reports via email to <se...@apache.org>.  Do NOT send
   questions about security or configuration to either <se...@apache.org>
   nor this bug forum, send such questions to the appropriate users support
   mailing list or newsgroup.

   Do NOT report bugs in PHP, use the PHP Project's bug reporting database
   at http://bugs.php.net/

   If you're tracing spam or you're here because one of your favorite Web
sites
   now says 'It Worked! Apache is installed!' -- then contact the mail
originator
   or the Web site's Webmaster directly, because they're just using our
software
   and we have nothing to do with them. Don't waste your time or ours by
telling
   us about it.

   Finally, before submitting your first report, DO read the bug submission
   guidelines at http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/bugwritinghelp.html
   Following the guidelines will assure the bug is resolved much more quickly.

Any comments or objections?

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:46 PM 4/16/2002, Pier wrote:
>Done...

Very cool; Thank You!!!

Just one note... the line "Send all security vulnerability reports via
email to ." didn't
appear to include the email address.  [security@apache.org]

Again, thank you :)

Bill

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
>
>> Em Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:40:16AM -0700, Joshua Slive escreveu:
>>> Is there any way to make the search box on the main page search both open
>>> and closed reports?  At the moment, it does not search closed reports.  If
>>> not, it should probably be noted explictly.
>>
>> Build that query, and then choose to "remember" it, giving it a name. Next
>> time you will get
>> a combo box with this query in it. Just select it and hit "query".
>>

> That would work if I wanted a query for myself.  But I'm most concerned
> about having a query for people to use before they submit bug reports.  In
> addition, the query on the main page is special, in that it applies the
> submitted keywords simultaneously to a bunch of different fields.  I think
> there is a special cgi script behind it, but I haven't looked in detail.

I have no clue on how that (CRAP) of Bugzilla works... Anyone welcome to go
thru the sources...

    Pier

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Andreas Hasenack wrote:

> Em Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:40:16AM -0700, Joshua Slive escreveu:
> > Is there any way to make the search box on the main page search both open
> > and closed reports?  At the moment, it does not search closed reports.  If
> > not, it should probably be noted explictly.
>
> Build that query, and then choose to "remember" it, giving it a name. Next time you will get
> a combo box with this query in it. Just select it and hit "query".

That would work if I wanted a query for myself.  But I'm most concerned
about having a query for people to use before they submit bug reports.  In
addition, the query on the main page is special, in that it applies the
submitted keywords simultaneously to a bunch of different fields.  I think
there is a special cgi script behind it, but I haven't looked in detail.

Joshua.

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by Andreas Hasenack <an...@conectiva.com.br>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:43 PM 4/12/2002, you wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > >    questions about security or configuration to either
> <se...@apache.org>
> > >    nor this bug forum, send such questions to the appropriate users
> support
> > >    mailing list or newsgroup.
> >
> > Again, change the comma after "forum" to a semi-colon.  I think the "nor"
> > should be "or", but I don't have a grammar book handy to check.
>
>You are correct.

Yup.  either/or ... or ... neither/nor but I shouldn't mix them.
This could be neither/nor but the text I provided was wrong :)

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> >    questions about security or configuration to either <se...@apache.org>
> >    nor this bug forum, send such questions to the appropriate users support
> >    mailing list or newsgroup.
>
> Again, change the comma after "forum" to a semi-colon.  I think the "nor"
> should be "or", but I don't have a grammar book handy to check.

You are correct.

--Cliff

Re: PHP Bugz...and other extra noise

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Can we provide the following text from the bugzilla welcome page
> http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/ ... even if we place it below the usual
> buttons?  [If it should appear below the first page's form, a big link to
> #policies at the top of the page would be nice.]

+1.  A couple comments below.

>    Do NOT submit a problem report without searching the existing ones first
>    to ensure that the issue you are reporting has not already been addressed

Is there any way to make the search box on the main page search both open
and closed reports?  At the moment, it does not search closed reports.  If
not, it should probably be noted explictly.

>    Do NOT send configuration questions or requests for help debugging your
>    installation, locate the appropriate users support mailing list or
> newsgroup
>    instead.

Change the comma to a semi-colon.

>    Do NOT report security vulnerabilities through this form!  Send all security
>    vulnerability reports via email to <se...@apache.org>.  Do NOT send
>    questions about security or configuration to either <se...@apache.org>
>    nor this bug forum, send such questions to the appropriate users support
>    mailing list or newsgroup.

Again, change the comma after "forum" to a semi-colon.  I think the "nor"
should be "or", but I don't have a grammar book handy to check.

>    Do NOT report bugs in PHP, use the PHP Project's bug reporting database
>    at http://bugs.php.net/

>    If you're tracing spam or you're here because one of your favorite Web
> sites
>    now says 'It Worked! Apache is installed!' -- then contact the mail
> originator
>    or the Web site's Webmaster directly, because they're just using our
> software
>    and we have nothing to do with them. Don't waste your time or ours by
> telling
>    us about it.

I'm not sure that this is necessary.  We haven't yet seen any problems.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Done...