Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by qqqq <qq...@usermail.com> on 2006/05/01 21:18:39 UTC

Way OT: What do you use for anti-virus (Linux)

I can say that the best, and most affordable, anti-virus package I have ever used was RAV.  Until is
was bought out by Microsoft.  I have since been using ClamAV but it sure uses allot of RAM.

What do you use?

QQQQ

Re: Way OT: What do you use for anti-virus (Linux)

Posted by Mathias Homann <ad...@eregion.de>.
Am Montag, 1. Mai 2006 21:18 schrieb qqqq:
> I can say that the best, and most affordable, anti-virus package I
> have ever used was RAV.  Until is was bought out by Microsoft.  I
> have since been using ClamAV but it sure uses allot of RAM.
>
> What do you use?

clamav.
clamd uses some 2.8% of my ram when idle, which amounts to ... 10 mb.
I don't think thats too much...
bye,
	MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD
763C

Re: Way OT: What do you use for anti-virus (Linux)

Posted by Steve Thomas <li...@sthomas.net>.
> Yeah ... the university got a fairly good deal on our per-user costs
> for Sophos.  I doubt I'd buy it for personal use, either.

They don't have a consumer product. They sell exclusively to the
business/government/education sectors.

We use sophos on the desktop and on the mail server, called from exim via
exiscan (now integrated into the official exim distribution, I believe)
and sophie. No complaints here.

If you're only looking for a scanner on the mail server, then Sophos
probably isn't for you, but if you're looking for an overall a/v solution
for your organization, it's a great product, IMHO.

Re: Way OT: What do you use for anti-virus (Linux)

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.

Posted by qqqq <qq...@usermail.com>.

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
I haven't been happy with CGP's anti-virus/anti-spam options
(specifically a lack of ability to do "during the SMTP transaction"
processing), so I tend to use a gateway approach.

1) On my production CGP machines, there is a group of sendmail boxes
that sit in front of them handling all non-SMTP-AUTH traffic.  These
currently run mailscanner, but will shortly move to mimedefang (most
likely).  I will be setting up a rule in the near future that tells the
CGP machines to send all messages which haven't been through the
sendmail machines to the sendmail machines.

2) On one of my development boxes, CGP doesn't answer on port 25.  It
answers only to localhost on another port.  Sendmail runs on port 25,
with mimedefang, and then delivers mail to the CGP port on localhost.

In both cases, SMTP-AUTH traffic currently goes directly to the CGP
process.  One of the other "near future" goals is to get STMP-AUTH set
up on the sendmail side, and then all SMTP traffic will go directly to
the sendmail processes.

Using mimedefang lets me reject viruses and very-high-scoring-spam
during the SMTP transaction ... so that I don't have to either:

a) violate RFC's by quietly deleting messages, nor
b) hold on to and try to bounce messages that are probably heading back
to non-existent senders or forged senders.

Instead, my mail servers can just refuse to accept responsibility for
messages whose content is inappropriate.

Posted by Tracey Gates <tg...@yoursummit.com>.

 <ma...@yoursummit.com> tgates@yoursummit.com

Posted by Ricardo Oliveira <ri...@gmail.com>.
I'm currently using qmail + qmail-scanner.

The messages are sent to the sophie process as they arrive - I allow 150+
connections per second, so instead of forking 150 sweeps per message I just
use one deamon (sophie).
The messages are received by qmail-smtp, are sent to qmail-scanner which
passes them through spamassassin (spamc+spamd) and sohpie.

If you need any help on this setup, contact me off-list, I'd be glad to
help.

Regards,
Ricardo Oliveira

Re: Way OT: What do you use for anti-virus (Linux)

Posted by qqqq <qq...@usermail.com>.
I use MailScanner and Qmail-Scanner depending on the server.

QQQQ

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.

Posted by qqqq <qq...@usermail.com>.
I used to use them.  However, you know the password protected zip file viruses?  My customers were up in arms as these flowed right through.  However, ClamAV caught them with ease.  I dropped them because of this.  Also, the Milter would die from time to time and support didn't really help.

QQQQ

Posted by Alejandro Lengua <al...@gmail.com>.
Check out these guys

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "qqqq" <qq...@usermail.com>

>I can say that the best, and most affordable, anti-virus package I have ever used was
>RAV.  Until is
> was bought out by Microsoft.  I have since been using ClamAV but it sure uses allot of
> RAM.
>
> What do you use?

ClamAV via the SpamAssassin ClamAV plugin. That is only the second line
of a defense in depth. I use Earthlink's AV scanner first. Then I use
ClamAV. Then I use F-Secure on the main PC. So far ClamAV has not caught
anything but some phishes. But then neither has F-Secure. (ClamAV has
been 100.0% on the (few) phishes it caught. And maybe they were phishes
that installed malware when you opened them. I didn't check.)

{^_^}