Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Thomas Wang <w...@datability.io> on 2021/09/25 18:45:37 UTC

Potential bug when assuming roles from AWS EKS when using S3 as RocksDb checkpoint backend?

Hi,

I'm using the official docker image: apache/flink:1.12.1-scala_2.11-java11

I'm trying to run a Flink job on an EKS cluster. The job is running under a
k8s service account that is tied to an IAM role. If I'm not using s3 as
RocksDB checkpoint backend, everything works just fine. However, when I
enabled s3 as RocksDB checkpoint backend, I got permission denied.

The IAM role tied to the service account has the appropriate permissions to
s3. However the underlying role tied to the EKS node doesn't. After
debugging with AWS support, it looks like the request to s3 was made under
the EKS node role, not the role tied to the service account. Thus the
permission denial.

With the same Flink application, I'm also making requests to AWS Secrets
Manager to get some sensitive information and those requests were made
explicitly with AWS Java SDK 2.x bundled in the same application Jar file.
Those requests were made correctly with the IAM role tied to the service
account.

Based on the info above, I suspect Flink may be using an older version of
the AWS SDK that doesn't support assuming an IAM role via an IODC web
identity token file. Please see AWS doc here:
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/eks/latest/userguide/iam-roles-for-service-accounts-minimum-sdk.html

Could someone help me confirm this bug and maybe have it fixed some time?
Thanks.

Thomas

Re: Potential bug when assuming roles from AWS EKS when using S3 as RocksDb checkpoint backend?

Posted by Dhiru <us...@yahoo.com>.
 We need to overwrite using   WebIdentityTokenFileCredentialsProviderhttps://github.com/aws/aws-sdk-java-v2/issues/1470#issuecomment-543601232. otherwise java takes presidency to secret key and access keys than SA

    On Saturday, September 25, 2021, 04:37:22 PM EDT, Xiangyu Su <xi...@smaato.com> wrote:

 Hi Thomas,did you try to login to EKS node and run some aws command like : aws s3 ls <backend bucket>?It sounds like EKS issue, but not 100% sure.Best

On Sat, 25 Sept 2021 at 22:12, Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com> wrote:

Hi Thomas,
I think you might be looking for this: https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/16717

BestIngo

--
Xiangyu Su
Java Developer

Smaato Inc.
San Francisco - New York - Hamburg - Singapore
www.smaato.com

Germany:

Barcastraße 5

22087 Hamburg

Germany
M 0049(176)43330282

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.

Re: Potential bug when assuming roles from AWS EKS when using S3 as RocksDb checkpoint backend?

Posted by Xiangyu Su <xi...@smaato.com>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Rommel Holmes <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ingo

I was looking into the aws dependeencies, and from
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/eks/latest/userguide/iam-roles-for-service-accounts-minimum-sdk.html
the minimum required version to use the feature is 1.11.704.

So 1.11.788 should be sufficient? Can you point it to me where it says that
1.11.951 is the minimum requirement?

Thank you.

Rommel

--
     Yours
     Rommel

Re: Potential bug when assuming roles from AWS EKS when using S3 as RocksDb checkpoint backend?

Posted by Ingo Bürk <in...@ververica.com>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Wang <w...@datability.io>.
Ingo,