Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Lund, Holly (CONTR)" <ho...@hq.doe.gov> on 2011/10/12 17:20:27 UTC

manager trying to use JAASRealm vice tomcat-users.xml

Tomcat 6.0.32 and java 1.6 on solaris 10
Uncommented the connector 8080 and changed port to 37799 (due to firewall constraints)

    <Connector port="37799" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />

added user for manager-gui and role for manager-gui in tomcat-users.xml

  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
  <user username="frankh" password="xxxxxxxxx" roles="manager,manager-gui"/>

When I try to log into manager get following error in catalina.out

Oct 12, 2011 8:55:07 AM org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm authenticate
SEVERE: Unexpected error
java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to locate a login configuration
        at com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile.<init>(ConfigFile.java:93)
        at javax.security.auth.login.Configuration$3.run(Configuration.java:247)
        at javax.security.auth.login.Configuration.getConfiguration(Configuration.java:242)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext$1.run(LoginContext.java:237)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.init(LoginContext.java:234)
        at javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext.<init>(LoginContext.java:403)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm.authenticate(JAASRealm.java:393)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm.authenticate(JAASRealm.java:334)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator.authenticate(BasicAuthenticator.java:181)
        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:528)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:291)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:602)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to locate a login configuration
        at com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile.init(ConfigFile.java:250)
        at com.sun.security.auth.login.ConfigFile.<init>(ConfigFile.java:91)
        ... 25 more

What am I doing wrong

I have not set up any JAASRealms

Holly Lund
EES, LLC,
Contractor to the
United States Department of Energy
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20585
Phone:202-586-4431
Email:holly.lund@hq.doe.gov

RE: manager trying to use JAASRealm vice tomcat-users.xml

Posted by "Lund, Holly (CONTR)" <ho...@hq.doe.gov>.
Thanks

Change to ?xml in tomcat-users.xml and uncommmenting additional Realm config  fixed issue

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: manager trying to use JAASRealm vice tomcat-users.xml

Posted by "Lund, Holly (CONTR)" <ho...@hq.doe.gov>.
Umcommented the UserDatabaseRealm section

Server.xml file

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<!-- Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
     Documentation at /docs/config/server.html
 -->
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

  <!--APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on" />

  <!--Initialize Jasper prior to webapps are loaded. Documentation at /docs/jasper-howto.html -->

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />

  <!-- Prevent memory leaks due to use of particular java/javax APIs-->

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener" />

  <!-- JMX Support for the Tomcat server. Documentation at /docs/non-existent.html -->

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />

  <!-- Global JNDI resources
       Documentation at /docs/jndi-resources-howto.html
  -->

  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users
    -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>
  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container",
       so you may not define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
       Documentation at /docs/config/service.html
   -->
  <Service name="Catalina">

    <!--The connectors can use a shared executor, you can define one or more named thread pools-->

    <!--
    <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-"
        maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="4"/>
    -->

    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned. Documentation at :
         Java HTTP Connector: /docs/config/http.html (blocking & non-blocking)
         Java AJP  Connector: /docs/config/ajp.html
         APR (HTTP/AJP) Connector: /docs/apr.html
         Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080
    -->
    <Connector port="37799" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!--
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="37799" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->
    <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
         This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
         connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
         described in the APR documentation -->

    <!--
    <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    -->

    <!-- <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />  -->

    <Connector port="8109" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" connectionTimeout="300000" disableUploadTimeout="false" maxT
hreads="500" />

    <!-- connector for OEM -->
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
         Documentation at /docs/config/engine.html -->

    <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
    -->

      <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
          /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
          /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->

      <!--
      <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
      -->

      <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging information about
           the request and response data received and sent by Tomcat.
           Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->

      <!--
      <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
      -->

      <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
           resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
           that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
           available for use by the Realm.  -->
      <!--
             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      -->

      <!-- Define the default virtual host
           Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.
       -->

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

        <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->

        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all example.
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->

        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt" pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
        -->

      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>

Tomcat-users.xml

< -xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="poweruser"/>
  <role rolename="probeuser"/>
  <role rolename="poweruserplus"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="xxxxx" roles="manager"/>
  <user username="admin" password="xxxxxxx" roles="manager"/>
  <user username="frankh" password="xxxxxxx" roles="manager,manager-gui"/>
</tomcat-users>

Error in catalina,out on startup

Oct 12, 2011 12:45:35 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm setContainer
INFO: Set JAAS app name Catalina
Oct 12, 2011 12:45:35 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester fatalError
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 1 column 2: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:195)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:174)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(XMLErrorReporter.java:388)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(XMLScanner.java:1414)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:925)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl
.java:511)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:808)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:119)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1661)
        at org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.open(MemoryUserDatabase.java:409)
        at org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.getObjectInstance(MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.java:103)
        at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:140)
        at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:793)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:140)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.nextElementInternal(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:113)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.next(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:71)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:137
)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:109
)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:8
1)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:142)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:747)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Oct 12, 2011 12:45:35 PM org.apache.naming.NamingContext lookup
WARNING: Unexpected exception resolving reference
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.
        at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1231)
[...]
Oct 12, 2011 12:45:35 PM org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener createMBeans
SEVERE: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources
javax.naming.NamingException: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:805)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:140)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.nextElementInternal(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:113)
        at org.apache.naming.NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.next(NamingContextBindingsEnumeration.java:71)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:137
)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:109
)
        at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:8
1)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:142)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:747)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)

Holly Lund
EES, LLC,
Contractor to the
United States Department of Energy
1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20585
Phone:202-586-4431
> Tomcat 6.0.32 and java 1.6 on solaris 10

Good to know; thanks.

> Uncommented the connector 8080

That's very odd, since that <Connector> is not commented out in the standard server.xml.

> added user for manager-gui and role for manager-gui in
> tomcat-users.xml

Did you remove the comment markers?  Send us the file, with passwords obscured.

> When I try to log into manager get following error in catalina.out Oct
> 12, 2011 8:55:07 AM org.apache.catalina.realm.JAASRealm authenticate
> SEVERE: Unexpected error
> java.lang.SecurityException: Unable to locate a login configuration

> What am I doing wrong

Not sending us your entire server.xml (with sensitive information obscured); it sounds like your server.xml is a bit different from the standard one.  I would guess the UserDatabaseRealm has been commented out or removed.

 - Chuck

RE: manager trying to use JAASRealm vice tomcat-users.xml

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.