Posted to community@apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/10/28 20:05:28 UTC

ASF Membership Nomination: Ted Husted

I hereby nominate Ted Husted.

Ted has been a long term committer on Struts and Jakarta Commons, and his
code contributions have been valuable.  But, in addition to that, Ted has
taken the lead at attempting to help us codify our policies and
procedures, and helping us clarify what we mean by "the Apache way".  This
has been demonstrated during the development of Jakarta Commons, and is
also clear in his frequent, positive, and constructive contributions to
the ongoing discussions about the organization of Apache as a whole.

Would any ASF member care to second this nomination?

Craig McClanahan

Re: ASF Membership Nomination: Ted Husted

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
While I'm just a committer I just want to state my support for both Ted
and Morgan :-)

-Andy

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:

> It is not only for the nominee but also for the voting body.
> When someone other than a fellow voter is looking at you
> expectantly, people tend to act differently.  [Try stuffing
> a camera in someones face and see if you can spot behaviour
> changes.]
>
> In a sense this is influencing the voting body, whether positive
> or negative doesn't matter, it's inappropiate IMO.

I agree, well said.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
That is not what I meant... there is supposidly a txt version.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 05:01 AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> I'm looking for the text version of this:
>>>
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/agreement.html
>>>
>>> which is supposedly in text form SOMEWHERE in CVS in some module...
>>

>> Oh, that cottonpicker. Sent via separate mail. For some reason it's in
>> foundation, and I don't know why it was never released out of there
>> once final.
>

> where in CVS is it?  Just for future reference?

It's in foundation/Licenses/contributions/ASF_Contributor_License_2.txt

Chuck

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>> I'm looking for the text version of this:
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/agreement.html
>>
>> which is supposedly in text form SOMEWHERE in CVS in some module...
>

> Oh, that cottonpicker. Sent via separate mail. For some reason it's in
> foundation, and I don't know why it was never released out of there
> once final.

where in CVS is it?  Just for future reference?

>>> All of the above. On the one hand, "because thats the way we've
>>> always done it" doesn't invalidate a process that works. It might
>>> need to get that written down for some to feel better with it.
>>>
>>> On the other hand free speech is cool with me, it should go without
>>> saying. 8^) It is customary to abandon working within a system if
>>> one exhausts all avenues there, and work outside it. I don't think
>>> that's been done here yet. I do realize some folks think they have
>>> exhausted all alternatives. That disconnect alone is fertile soil
>>> for polarization.
>>

>> No I think its "openness" vs "closedness"..  Saying "exhaust all
>> avenues working in the closed system to see if that achieves the
>> openness you desire" is kinda....  self-contradicting?
>

> I didn't cast this as closed vs. open, nor as closed=bad and
> open=good, because I think both have proper places in running the show
> here.
>
> Is this difference more accurately described as "If I can't see it I
> worry that there's bad juju going on" vs. "If I can see it I can see
> all the good and bad juju going on"? That seems to be basically a
> trust issue to me. So maybe we hit the root of all the weirdness at last.
>
> Could it be that we don't trust each other to be working in each
> others' best interests? I would hope they are common interests or we
> are SOL. Implementations we can vote on all day, but trust and common
> direction are either there or they are not.

But for instance Sam is a member and he's a Jakarta/XMLer.  Besides I
think the trust issue goes both ways...  Before this list, I had no idea
who most of these people I was trusting were!  Only by rumor/reputation
and google.  So who did I trust?  Sam and Stefano.  This list is part of
the change..  and its already making a difference.

-Andy

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Ted Husted wrote:
>

> > Lists are how we procreate.
>

> Eeewwww...
>
> Perhaps there *are* some things that really should be done in private.

ROTFL :-)))

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
 > Ted Husted wrote:
 >

 >> Lists are how we procreate.
 >

 > Eeewwww...
 >
 > Perhaps there *are* some things that really should be done in
 > private.

And please protect the archives from public access :-)

</Steven>

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> And people call us geeks! Why is it so?

:-O .... LOL !  :-D:-D

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
10/31/2002 12:14:04 AM, Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org> wrote:
>Could it be that we don't trust each other to be working in each
>others' best interests? I would hope they are common interests or
>we are SOL. Implementations we can vote on all day, but trust and
>common direction are either there or they are not.

Its hard to trust what you don't know. Lists are how we procreate.
People see what we are doing, like what they see, and start to
contribute. The open User and Dev lists lower the bar so that
other people can join us and become part of our Community.

I appreciate why some Projects and the ASF Members like the
restricted lists. But closed lists, on their own, tend to create
closed Communities. If we do not document our process on the
lists, then we must document elsewhere. Otherwise, how can we
*earn* people's trust.

If the Incubator provides model documentation for our Projects,
then it will be easier for others to see how the ASF architecture
really works. This will make it easier for people to emulate our
process, not only at Apache but elsewhere. Personally, I'd like to
include model walk throughs of the processes, like an Apache
Cookbook.

It's been said that the little things make a big difference. I
think that's been very true here. For example, it was mentioned,
almost as an aside, that PMCs must approve the Releases. Knowing
this, we can patch the guidelines:

<href="http://jakarta.apache.org/site/decisions.html">

Majority approval is required before the release can be made.
<insert>Once a release is approved by the Committers, the Project
Management Committee can authorize its distribution on behalf of
the Foundation.</insert>

</href>

Doesn't seem like much, but it does communicate that the
subprojects Committers are not an autonomous body. Just having to
get the Jakarta PMC to sign-off on a release might be enough to
get some of the subprojects to leave the nest.

Meanwhile, we had a "Welcome nominee" letter, but no "Welcome
Committer" letter, so we can patch one in to encapsulate some of
the trailing-edge procedures, like updating the database.

<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html>

The Welcome Committer letter also lets people know their login is
on the way, and gives us a place to link in a FAQ. There's a lot
of material on the Apache site, and a FAQ goes a long way toward
stressing the salient points:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newbie.html>

In many ways, we face a situation similar to that of the
architects of the United States government (our "founding
fathers"). After drafting and ratifying the constitution, they
turned around and added ten quick amendments (the "Bill of
Rights"). Why? Because they had not documented the elements of
English common law. These were all "understood" and in the framers
minds "went without saying". Likewise, there are subtle but vital
elements of the ASF common "protocol" that we need to document for
future generations of Apaches. Right now, it's not that people are
turning from The Apache Way, it's that many of us have never truly
walked it.

(Would you like some more tea?)

-Ted.

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 12:24 PM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> If they do not know what questions to ask, how are they to find the
>>> answers?  I have read what documentation was apparent to me and I
>>> feel I have a reasonable understanding of how things work.....but
>>> what if I don't?  How do I know what the base set of information I
>>> should know is?
>>

>> I have to ask so many questions these days I feel like an idiot.
>> Sometimes I ask the wrong question, and have to figure out empirically
>> how to ask the right one. But that doesn't stop me. I am trying to
>> figure out how to be a jakarta subproject, and I ask when I am
>> ignorant (perhaps even stupid if I forgot the answer given the first
>> time and I can't find it). I think I can understand firsthand what
>> it's like going in the other direction, and I have already had to
>> tread the path you describe. What worked for me was to scan everything
>> I could find, noting what seemed relevant, and asking questions.
>

> Right, but in that case a great deal of patience must be involved in
> all directions.  However patience seems to be a precious commodity in
> all respects.

+1.

>>> No but organizing the information into a "this is the minimum you
>>> should know" will lead many people to read at least that.  Then they
>>> will hopefully ask more questions.
>>

>> Absolutely. We'd be done by now if all the volumes of mail on reorg@
>> and here were volumes of ASF doc. 8^) Mea culpa too.
>
> hehe....but there in lies the dillemma... before the little fun on
> reorg@ I had NO idea how to submit patches to the www site!  ;-)  And
> everyone I'd asked had said "I don't know" ;-)

S'OK. I just figured out how to get the mojo to do the same on Jakarta.
8^) And I think though I might have confused a couple of people, I
didn't piss anyone off, so I'd consider it a bumbling success.

>>> I've read them, but many people didn't subscribe to it at first, some
>>> people don't speak english natively and so the legalistic language
>>> may not be very digestable.
>>

>> Agreed, i18n'ing all this stuff is an excellent suggestion for a later
>> step. As you say, people are doubtless now catching up noi their
>> reading.
>
> Well you can easily deduce my opinion on the i18n thing...
> http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/  (see the various languages we've begun
> translating)....and if no one does it... I give it ago ;-) even if I
> don't speak the language... this encourages those who don't wish to see
> their native languages defaced in such a way to contribute ;-)

+1.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> [...]

>> HTTPD crowd is too autocratic and secretive" -- is that a productive
>> statement?  No.  "Lets work on finding things that are currently
>> discussed in secret, figure out why and how they can be made more
>> open.  For instance currently.... I suggest...."  -- The same general
>> statement --- only its connotation is very different.  Thats how I
>> feel about it.
>>

> I need to say I want to put the focus on changing ourselves, as well.
> The one thing I can't seem to see here sometimes are the results of
> self-examination as well as examining others. I know for a fact you
> and I are starting to agree more than we disagree, so I know that
> unwritten process can work.

Which I guess is basically the part I agreed with...  Rather than having
a philisophical discussion on it...lets you and I lead by example.. . ;-)

-andy

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

> How many folks have read the foundation pages at http://www.apache.org/
> before joining a project? The bylaws and public records of ASF? Read
> about other ASF projects? Learned what it is they're getting involved
> with? Googled a bit to find out how ASF interacts with the world? Or to
> see how and why other projects in the past have failed or succeeded?

To be specific to my situation : I use httpd (who doesn't;)) and I use a lot
of project that are on jakarta. You help others out on mailinglists,
encounter some problems, you send some patches, you send more patches, you
are nominated and become a committer to that project. Life goes on as
normal, untill you hear something about the board, PMC, elections (not
taling about voting rules, since you know them already big time by getting
involved in porjects), etc. You think hey intersting, what's that all about
;).
It's just a process of growth, which may evolve into bigger involvement in
apache itself (which makes you a possible candidate for membership).
It's nice to have some documents on all this stuff, but if you don't
experience it, it stays pretty much a document.

The same thing is with (almost) every newborn : he doesn't know everything
yet and should grow to get more involved or understand what "it" is all
about ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 10:29 PM, Ted Husted wrote:

> 10/29/2002 11:23:22 PM, Henri Yandell
> <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:
>> In terms of community fractures, I think the proposal to
>> promote Jakarta projects out of Jakarta [something I'm not
>> against] is the one that is a danger to the community. I think
>> this is why that community was originally defensive and still
>> hedgy.
>
> I think most of the edginess is simply fear of the unknown.
> Many of the ASF Members, like Greg, have not had the
> opportunity to interact with the ASF Committers working at
> Jakarta. Likewise, nearly all of us working at Jakarta have
> only interacted with a handful of the ASF Members. For good or
> ill, many of the key management lists at other ASF Projects are
> restricted, making it difficult for us to learn by example.
> Happily, this list is starting to fill that gap by documenting
> some of the missing usuage examples. =:0)

I think the most of the edginess is ignorance or rejection of the known,
coupled with the most pessimistic possible assumptions of anything that
is unknown.

How many folks have read the foundation pages at http://www.apache.org/
before joining a project? The bylaws and public records of ASF? Read
about other ASF projects? Learned what it is they're getting involved
with? Googled a bit to find out how ASF interacts with the world? Or to
see how and why other projects in the past have failed or succeeded?

Why would one expect people to read everything yet to be written down
when it seems they have not read or want to read what is already written
down?

> I believe most of us are very eager to learn. Like many good
> developers, we are not eager to reinvent the wheel. Frameworks
> are a favorite topic at Jakarta, and I'm sure virtually all of
> us are ready, willing, and able to adopt the ASF framework.
> It's just most of us are still learning how the ASF
> architecture is suppose to work.

On the contrary, I see the wheel being reinvented right here, right now.
See the subject of this email. I think that is because people either
don't want to know, or know and wish to ignore anything that doesn't
agree with how they think things should work.

> Meanwhile, the Community at Jakarta is based on the
> interactions between its Committers, not on a political body or
> a URL. The Community of Committers that has arisen at Jakarta
> is not going to go away become some products "earn their
> stripe" and are promoted to top level projects. It's true that
> some people have developed a certain "brand" loyalty to
> Jakarta, but I think that loyalty will easily transfer back to
> Apache, as we learn more about what "being Apache" means.

The political body and URLs arose from the interactions between
committers. Let's not forget that, or once again ignore it since we seem
to want things to be written down for us.

Let's see how current committer groups run as PMCs. Wouldn't you agree
that if they fail to govern themselves or their own projects
successfully, they would not make effective governors of others? Let me
be clear that I am not talking about generating code here.

I think there is clear evidence on this list that people are quite
willing to go ahead and change things they know or care nothing about.

The community of committers that has arisen at Jakarta may choose not to
be part of the greater community of ASF, as at last count at least some
of them were among 80% of committers not on this list.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> "But it works -- we have committers" "But it works -- Jakarta has produced
> some great code" "But it works -- ..." Well, yes to all of those. Sure it
> did. My concern is about the impact on the community, not the ability to get
> work done. And measuring the health of a community is quite a bit less
> objective. I never had the opportunity to interact or really view or hear
> about the ins-and-outs of the Jakarta community until these past two or
> three weeks. And you know what? I think it *is* fractured, and that is sad.
> I witnessed some straight-on personal attacks on the reorg@ list, and been
> privy to others due to my Board role. People actively stating they don't
> want to work with somebody or interact with them. I've never seen the like
> in the httpd and apr communities where we avoid talking about people
> publicly. Is there a causal link? Probably not, or if so, then very minor.
> But I don't want to test the hypothesis. I don't want to give any foothold
> for community fractures; it just isn't worth the risk.

I'm no expert on community-science [I assume there is one.
anthropology?sociology?] but it would seem to be an assumption to think
that a healthy community has to be a unified community. Jakarta could be
made up of sub-communities [there's enough cross-pollination that it's
hard to see this a bit, but there are also obvious tribes] which can quite
happily be at odds with each other from time to time and yet still improve
the surrounding communities well-being.

Another example of the same thing is this list. There has been a lot of
debate/argument, largely between two communities, but the result has been
positive.

In terms of community fractures, I think the proposal to promote Jakarta
projects out of Jakarta [something I'm not against] is the one that is a
danger to the community. I think this is why that community was originally
defensive and still hedgy.

That said, I am attacking your words from the wrong side. I agree with the
closed member-discussion lists.

Hen

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:51:35AM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit status, or PMC membership
> > really should be private. I absolutely will not participate in such an
> > environment, and will encourage others to avoid it also. These kinds of
> > discussions really don't enhance the community.
>
> Greg,
>
> At a minimum, please acknowledge that a large number of ASF commiters

ACK

> have  never participated in (or even have access to) private ASF mailing
> lists, have only seen commiter nominations done in public (and many have
> done so themselves), and the only PMC nominations that they have seen
> have also been done in the open (Jakarta, XML).

I already knew that. It doesn't change my thinking, though. The fact that it
happened doesn't mean it is good/bad, just that it happened that way.

Personally, I think it was bad. I had no place or right to say so, so I
didn't. But when that behavior impacts member nominations? i.e. the ASF
itself? Oh yah, then I'll add some commentary :-)

[...]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> So what's the hackathon? [Beyond the obvious of people doing some kind of
> coding in a big session]. Does it have a focus, or completely open play
> etc?

ben laurie should answer this one, but i think he's semi-offline
the hackathon is two days of committers and invited contributors
getting face-time to network and hack on whatever they want, in
a single room with network access.  (in london there were forty of
us and the network access was a single 56kbd dialup line, which
was amazing.)

> Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
> of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
> information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
> upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
> Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

we can only choose from the proposals we receive.  if no-one submits
any java project talks, there won't be any at apachecon.  at the moment
i don't think there is anyone from jakarta on the planning committee (which
i think should be populated with people with as broad a participation in
the asf as possible), so we have to consult people or wing it.  but mostly
it's the number of submissions received.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

ApacheCon & Jakarta (was committers repos)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
> of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
> information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
> upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
> Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

Here are the sessions I see that are Jakarta related:

TU02 - Cocoon (its Java afterall!)

TU06 - abstract says Jetspeed

TU14 - this is me and Ant :) - and not Tomcat related at all

TU16 - I'm bummed because this one is while I'm speaking, but its on
Axis, which is Java.

WE02 - BSF, again, very Java related

WE06 - What is more Jakarta than Struts and Craig McClanahan?  :)

WE08 - Xerces-J

WE16 - Tomcat

TH02 - Turbine

TH06 - Commercial software and Jakarta

TH13 - LDAP, but it mentions Java in the categories

TH20 - Tomcat and Security

TH22 - Looks Java/Axis-centric to me

> There are some xml ones which might be of interest to the community.

Yes, lots of XML above, but all seem quite relevant to most Jakarta
folks, I think.

So it seems Jakarta is much better represented than one might think just
from the talk titles (I drilled into each one to get the list above).

See you there?!  :)

	Erik

Re: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:50:59AM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> > What about using CVS for this? Can only committers
> > checkout the "committers" module? (I see that it is
> > not available via ViewCVS.)
>
> Yes, the committers repos is only available to committers. Its absence from
> ViewCVS is probably more of an oversight than intended, but that *is* the
> correct standpoint. The repos contains committer-private information; in
> particular, the hackathon signup sheet is there -- the hackathon is not a
> public event.

So what's the hackathon? [Beyond the obvious of people doing some kind of
coding in a big session]. Does it have a focus, or completely open play
etc?

Another question to the community, will ApacheCon contain more in the way
of Java project talks in the future? I'd always ignored ApacheCon
information as in years passed Apache meant httpd to me. Looking at the
upcoming one, there seem to be only two talks which would appeal to
Jakarta as a community and both are quite vague and Tomcat focused.

There are some xml ones which might be of interest to the community.

Is this normal for ApacheCon? Or just an oddity. If it is normal, why is
it normal? I think the answer to that might be enlightening.

> I've been thinking about putting a list of all the top-level projects in
> there and detailing who is on the PMC for each, along with the chair. Partly
> for my own benefit when I need to mail the PMC Chairs for their reports to
> the Board :-)

+1. Knowing the scope/size of the community is a good way to understand
the community and become a part of the community.

Hen

RE: committers repos (was: ASF Membership Nomination)

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
I cant think of anything I want to put in here, but would it be worth having a guideline like..
"commiters can put anything in commiters/personal/~username" ?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > No, not a PMC. I mean a method for *all* committers of a
> > project to be able to discuss certain things in private.
>
> Heh, it's the project that rules how the PMC is composed! I will be in
> favor of making every committer that wants to be part of the PMC, part
> of it. Like it happens on HTTPD.
>
> The PMC concept, in fact, was designed after *that*!
>

> > I notice that you expressed similar reasoning to my first
> > paragraph, in your other reply to this thread. It was the
> > success of that small-group off-line proposal and subsequent
> > on-line vote of Nicola Ken committer, that sparked my reply too.
>
> Yes, I noticed this.
>
> But think about it: if cocoon is a project and all the committers that
> care enough are part of the PMC and are the legal protectors of the code
> and there is one official representative that talks directly to the
> board and can report problems or achievements. Wouldn't it be all much
> lighter and clean?

Aha, thanks, now it is all clear. The PMCs are the missing link.
... a place to discuss certain occasional private project issues.
I was under the impression that PMCs were a subset of committers,
but now i see that it can be all who are interested. That solves
it - i can now go and vote for "community" list to be fully open.
--David

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 30 Oct 2002, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > David,
> >
> > what you are talking about is a PMC. If (when?) Cocoon will be upgraded
> > to be a fully recognized and structured ASF project, we'll have a PMC
> > exactly for those discussions and the PMC mail list (for legal and
> > security reasons) will have to be private.
>
> No, not a PMC. I mean a method for *all* committers of a
> project to be able to discuss certain things in private.
> I notice that you expressed similar reasoning to my first
> paragraph, in your other reply to this thread. It was the
> success of that small-group off-line proposal and subsequent
> on-line vote of Nicola Ken committer, that sparked my reply too.

Interestingly, the TOMCAT-DEV list just had a conversation about the topic
of a committers-only list.  The purpose there was not to discuss PMC-like
things -- the idea was to have a forum to discuss solutions to potential
or actual security vulnerabilities, before they became public knowledge,
so that a fixed version of Tomcat could be made available.  This was in
response to the typical patterns of such discussion (private email thread
with cc's to all the committers you think might be interested), which
proved to be inefficient and potentially left important contributors out
of the loop.

The general response to this idea on TOMCAT-DEV was negative -- ranging
from concerns that development direction decisions would be made in
private and then announced to the world, all the way to your typical
conspiracy theorist's worst nightmares.  The idea has yet to be
implemeted, but I suspect it will end up being done.

Personally, I thought this was a pretty good answer to a particular
demonstrated need to communicate in a less-open forum (in spite of my
general prediliction towards open communications).  Yet, even that
pretty obvious need was not enough to avoid quite a lot of knee-jerk
reaction.

Come to think of it, the reaction was quite similar to the lambasting
that the Jakarta PMC got about a year ago, based on the theory that lots
of decisions were being made "behind closed doors" (trust me -- I was
there -- they weren't).  I guess this all might say something about the
Jakarta sub-culture being somewhat different than the rest of Apache
(which was also reflected, to some degree, in the "open mailing list"
vote) ...

> --David

Craig

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 06:27 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Greg Stein wrote:
>>

>> >Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit status, or PMC
>> membership
>> >really should be private. I absolutely will not participate in such an
>> >environment, and will encourage others to avoid it also. These kinds
>> of
>> >discussions really don't enhance the community.
>>

>> Totally agree. Every community needs a place to discuss
>> some limited things in private. Sure on cocoon-dev we
>> discuss the actual vote for a new committer in public.
>> However prior to that some sub-set of committers might
>> discuss a proposed committer off-list. Sometimes we have
>> said "no not yet, let us wait a while for such-and-such
>> reason". This is a problem because only some of the
>> committers are involved. So we do need a private forum
>> where all project committers can discuss.
>>
>> What about using CVS for this? Can only committers
>> checkout the "committers" module? (I see that it is
>> not available via ViewCVS.) If so then that makes it
>> a semi-private place. Each project could have their own
>> document (e.g. cocoon-new-committers.txt) where we discuss
>> via editing the file.
>>
>> This also helps to keep track of various developers that
>> we may want to invite later. Too often i have seen people
>> overlooked because we have just plain forgotten to invite
>> them.
>
> David,
>
> what you are talking about is a PMC. If (when?) Cocoon will be upgraded
> to be a fully recognized and structured ASF project, we'll have a PMC
> exactly for those discussions and the PMC mail list (for legal and
> security reasons) will have to be private.
>
> The ASF architecture is very well designed. Just it was not designed
> for containers like jakarta and xml. And this is why we are sometimes
> suffering or having to resort to our own stuff.

One additional point. It has been found that PMCs work very well when
they are composed of as many project committers as possible - ideally
all of them, but reserving opt-out for those who wish not to be there.

Chuck

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
<snip excellent stuff/>

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@wow.lk>.
A big +1 to what Greg just wrote ..

In any case, since I've not seen any membership nominations
prior to the two this week, I'm surprised to see them in the
most public list of Apache.

I've been lurking on this discussion so far, but it seems to
me that it would be really good for folks to slow down with
changes, nominations, PMCs and the like while the raging
discussion is going on. It seems to me that there's some soul
searching going on right now and until we find it IMHO its best
to back off and chill with the minute-to-minute changes.

Sanjiva.

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:04:35PM -0800, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

the

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

> Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit status, or PMC membership
> really should be private.

Absolutely.

Bill

[Proposal] Compromise was: Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Tradeoffs with the old and new method:

1. doing it privately tends to perpetuate the closed mysterious nature
of it (good ol boys club).  Another way of looking at this would be in
relationship to the Cocoon project.  The less documented aspects of it
are less used outside of the cocoon developer community and the
undocumented nature of much of it prevents its widespead adoption in a
number of locations.  However this has begun to change, the project
information is starting to become shared through the efforts of people
like Steven Noles. Secondly, a number of books have started to be
written on the subject.  This has improved the project substantially
IMHO and recent designs are starting to be better thought out and are
including new ideas not before approached such as XMLForm by this fellow
named Ivelin.

2. doing it publically could result in hurt feelings and divisiveness
and the instances Stefano gave...

Possible Compromise

1. Nominations could take place on the Community list.  Social contract
be to only say nice things on the list and offer feedback to the
members@ list if its negative.  Negative comments made on the community
list are rebuked and noted as unproductive and in bad spirit.  Nothing
nice said is probably a good indication of lack of support or everyone
is busy ;-)

2. Voting and any negative discussion happens on the members@ list

Tradeoffs:
1. Still somewhat closed but still more open.
2. The person proposed is hinted to be on their best behavior so they
can't act like me ;-)
3. The person can just wonder who doesn't love them ;-)

I think 3 is moderated by the idea that I figure probably most folks are
asked if they'd accept the nomination beforehand anyhow so I doubt they
don't know in advance.

Any additional thoughts?

-Andy

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Cox <ja...@imajes.info>.

> You make a lot of good points.  Let me be devil's
> advocate and make a couple explicit points that I
> think you imply above:
>
> 1) ASF membership is very important
> 2) ASF membership is more likely to be contentious
> than other decisions for that reason
>
> Perhaps some middle ground could be reached?  A public
> discussion on merits followed by a private debate?
> Leave the decision of whether or not to address the
> candidate directly to each member?  Maybe at the end
> of the day, the community list is the wrong place for
> the ultimate resolution of the process, but it may be
> a useful auxiliary tool.

+1.

Greg, you make -- as always -- some very fine points, however Morgan has
really pointed it out here. This is an important issue, but sometimes it's
nice to have a general forum to gauge opinion :)

 -- james

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Greg,

--- Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:04:35PM -0800, Morgan
> Delagrange wrote:

Probably.  I think I was just responding to a specific
statement from Ken, where he said he wanted to spare
the rod.

> > > It is not only for the nominee but also for the
> voting body.
> > > When someone other than a fellow voter is
> looking at you
> > > expectantly, people tend to act differently.
> [Try stuffing
> > > a camera in someones face and see if you can
> spot behaviour
> > > changes.]
> > >
> > > In a sense this is influencing the voting body,
> whether positive
> > > or negative doesn't matter, it's inappropiate
> IMO.
>
> Yup.

> > I'd stop short of saying that using a public forum
> is
> > "inappropriate", but I think you've correctly
> > identified some disadvantages.
>
> Oh, Sander hasn't even come close :-)
>
> The problem with discussing people in public is that
> it is *extremely*
> divisive and polarizing to the community. No matter
> how well-intentioned it
> may be, or how thick the recipient's skin is... such
> a discussion *creates*
> factions within the community.
>
> Let's say that I came out and said, "Morgan? Oh, I
> don't think so. The
> postings that I've seen from him do not mesh well
> with the long-term ideals
> of what the ASF is all about. He represents himself
> and his community in
> Jakarta Commosn, but isn't concerned about the ASF
> except to give him more
> protection for his corner of the world."

LOL!  Love the example.  OK, so let's suppose that
your opinion is that "Morgan" isn't concerned with the
ASF except insofar as it protects his subproject...

> What would happen?
>
> * you're okay with it. no problem.

Unlikely.  "Morgan" might respect your opinion, but I
suspect he'll defend his position.  The way in which
he defends that position is as important as the
message he tries to convey.

> * people who know you now take a couple actions
>   - they put themselves into the "pro-Morgan" camp
> and me in the
>     "anti-Morgan" camp.

Quite possible.  At which point you would explain that
you're not "anti-Morgan" per se, but only that you're
not sure he's right for ASF membership.  Then you'd
explain that ASF members are "dedicated, long-term"
participants in the Apache Way, and you'd explain in
more detail why Morgan doesn't get it.

Then Morgan would probably say something about how
much he respects Greg's opinions and supports his
right to it, and then no doubt spout some drivel
supporting his position and explain away his ignorance
of the Apache Way.

OR...

Morgan would explode and the voting members would say,
"wow, this guy doesn't look like he's very
reasonable."

If members have reservations about a candidate, how
can they allay these fears without seeing the
candidate "in action", so to speak?

>   - where I stated an opinion, they now turn it into
> a debate on your merits
>     and the list devolves into "but look at what
> Morgan has done" or "see
>     how he has contributed" while I was only trying
> to state an opinion on
>     what I had seen

Aren't Morgan's contributions valid to the discussion?
 Actions speak louder than words, after all.  Of
course, that doesn't make your opinion invalid either,
and I'd expect that you'd defend it vigorously.

> * people who aren't familiar with the situation
> place themselves into the
>   "oh, whatever" camp and start dropping the
> debators into the other camps.

That's inevitable, whether or not the discussion
happens on members.  Most of the members will not have
worked with the candidate.  Actually, this reorg list
is the only cross-project discussion most of us
non-members have ever seen, and I think it's doing a
lot of good for that reason.

> * people who agree with my position "align
> themselves" with my opinion,
>   again creating factions
>   - if they post a support email for me, then the
> other members of the
>     community place that support into the
> anti-Morgan camp
>   - and we're back to the spin/discussion on your
> merits/anti-merits

Sure the discussion might get a little heated.  But
we're talking about ASF membership here, it's a big
deal.  Be tough.  If a candidate can't support his
credentials without resorting to insults and tirades,
what kind of ASF member would he be?

> * BIG ITEM: my quote above was merely an example.
> but I *EDITED* the damned
>   thing. I didn't even realize it until I got to
> this part of my email. the
>   original hypothesis was that it would be posted in
> a public forum. my
>   original text was "Morgan? oh, fuck that. ..." but
> while writing that, I
>   thought, "oh. this is for a public forum, so I
> wouldn't have phrased it so
>   strongly. let me tone down the example." thus, my
> supposed, original
>   motivations against you have been toned down. the
> other readers are not
>   going to get the full brunt of my opinion because
> I had to tone it down
>   for a public forum.

I think you tone it down not just because of the
public forum, but because you have to make an argument
to which the candidate can respond.  I think that's
positive.  If you had actually said "Morgan? oh, fuck
that. ...", I'd hope other members would say, "syntax
error, please refrase in the form of constructive
criticism".

>   and this is just an *example*... what if it were
> real?
>
> * future opinions are now muddied. people in the
> pro-Morgan camp will always
>   take my words with an bad highlight over them.
> "oh, he doesn't like
>   Morgan. he has bad opinions." or when we have a
> technical debate, people
>   will question, "is this truly a technical debate,
> or is this based on his
>   original anti-morgan stance?"

That's possible.  I've worked on several Jakarta
subprojects, all of which conduct committer
nominations _exclusively_ in public forums.  Arguments
over nominations have been so infrequent that I cannot
actually recall a single instance.

There is the infamous incident where someone (I forget
who) vetoed a committer nomination on Tomcat.  I don't
work on that subproject, but had I been there at the
time, I would have defended that person's right to his
opinion, even if I disagreed with the opinion itself.

> > I'd offer two potential advantages in response: 1)
> > members can pose questions directly to the
> candidate,
>
> Always possible. A public forum is not necessary for
> this. As Pier stated in
> another email, he spoke with Justin via IRC. Stuff
> like that and emails are
> quite doable. The posting of a nomination and
> discussion about the pros/cons
> of a person in public does not create any particular
> advantage for talking
> with the nominee.

Good point.

> > and 2) other non-members get to see what goes into
> the
> > selection process. I'd say the second is the more
> > significant.  We've already asserted that member
> > selection is qualitative in nature and varies from
> > case-to-case.  By debating on a forum available to
> > other committers, non-members can witness some of
> the
> > selection criteria as they evolve.
>
> Yes, for better or worse, it is a highly subjective
> process which means
> there is really no way to extract useful rules.
>
> But "debate" is an awful thing to get into when
> you're talking about a
> person. It is the single-most and quickest way to
> create divisiveness,
> factions, and polarization within a community.
>
> Sorry, but nominations for membership, commit
> status, or PMC membership
> really should be private. I absolutely will not
> participate in such an
> environment, and will encourage others to avoid it
> also. These kinds of
> discussions really don't enhance the community.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

You make a lot of good points.  Let me be devil's
advocate and make a couple explicit points that I
think you imply above:

1) ASF membership is very important
2) ASF membership is more likely to be contentious
than other decisions for that reason

Perhaps some middle ground could be reached?  A public
discussion on merits followed by a private debate?
Leave the decision of whether or not to address the
candidate directly to each member?  Maybe at the end
of the day, the community list is the wrong place for
the ultimate resolution of the process, but it may be
a useful auxiliary tool.

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons
http://axion.tigris.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/watchdog

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Thats pretty much the way that things operate in projects I participate in
aswell.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The phrase "computer literate user" really means the person
has been hurt so many times that the scar tissue is thick
enough so he no longer feels the pain.
   -- Alan Cooper, The Inmates are Running the Asylum

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> While I would like to continue with open processes that are kept private
> only when specific events require it.
>
> Why? mostly because of the perception given to the people.
>
> Perception is important, expecially in building a community.
>
> But at the end, I think there is very little difference between the two
> processes technically, what is important is just the perception given to
> the people of the community.
>
> And I think this list shows that Jakarta is much healthier than the rest
> of the ASF in that respect. Even if, sometimes, they have been even
> *too* open.
>
> But keeping things balanced is a very difficult thing.

+1

- Sam Ruby

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:58, Chuck Murcko wrote:
> I would ask if it has ever been asked if there is a downside to total
> openness.
>
> I would also say that my experience has been that total openness on
> these sorts of projects has resulted merely in all the private
> discussion going out of band, so almost everyone gets to feel equal in
> their exclusion.

Thats pretty much how it happens in projects I am involved in (which are at
Jakarta).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme
excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the
enemy's resistance without fighting. - Sun Tzu, 300 B.C.

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:

> The irony here is that by attempting to come to a pre-concensus the
> vote and discussion turned inadvertently private, which by its mere
> existance shows that the public system failed.

This reasoning would be correct if you implicitly assume that the notion
of private nominations doesn't have a social impact on the perception of
openess of the community.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:22:16AM +0100, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> True, but it happened several times in the projects I supervised or
> being part of, that committers seeked consensus privately exactly not to
> influence the person.
>
> Nicola, for example (I'm citing this because he knows so no harm is
> done), was proposed for commit access in a private multi-CCed email and
> turned down by me since I thought he needed more time to 'tune' to how
> things were working on the mail list.
>
> Note: publicly, I never had to turn down any committer and I think I
> voted in several tens of them.
>
> Anyway, he was proposed for commit access a few months later and voted
> in with no negative vote. He not only proved his skills, but the ability
> to learn from his mistakes.
>
> If voted down pubblicly the first time, I have the impression that he
> would have left, with big disadvantage of everyone, himself first.
>
> So, I think that proposing nominations in public does no harm if there
> reasonable estimation that nobody would be against it. But, in any other
> case, a private votation will serve the person nominated best.
>
> At least, that has been my experience.

The irony here is that by attempting to come to a pre-concensus the
vote and discussion turned inadvertently private, which by its mere
existance shows that the public system failed. I would much rather have
the situation we have now in the httpd or members lists where nominations
are made to everyone (and exclusively to everyone) would will have to
vote on that nomination.

-aaron

Re: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:04:35PM -0800, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

Actually, it has *very* little to do with how you feel, but what happens to

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> When successfully nominated, I think the 'promotion' of the
> committer to a member should be trumpeted on community. There's
> no need to know about the voting, and whether someone doesn't get
> in, but there is a need to know when someone gets in to help build
> community.

absolutely +1.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

RE: ASF Membership Nomination

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]

Disagree and agree. I think your and Aaron's points are good, and that
your line above is nearly good.

When successfully nominated, I think the 'promotion' of the committer to a
member should be trumpeted on community. There's no need to know about the
voting, and whether someone doesn't get in, but there is a need to know
when someone gets in to help build community.

Hen

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:05:28AM -0800, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> > I hereby nominate Ted Husted.
>
> The problem with nominations in a forum that does not perfectly match
> the voting body is that it makes it difficult to hold discussions
> about the nominee in a fair way. Nominations, IMNSHO, belong on the
> members@apache.org.

I totally agree.  There should be two parties informed: the nominee
and the members.  No more, no less.

Sander

Re: ASF Membership Nomination: Ted Husted

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> I hereby nominate Ted Husted.
>
> Ted has been a long term committer on Struts and Jakarta Commons, and his
> code contributions have been valuable.  But, in addition to that, Ted has
> taken the lead at attempting to help us codify our policies and
> procedures, and helping us clarify what we mean by "the Apache way".  This
> has been demonstrated during the development of Jakarta Commons, and is
> also clear in his frequent, positive, and constructive contributions to
> the ongoing discussions about the organization of Apache as a whole.
>
> Would any ASF member care to second this nomination?

I enthusiastically second this nomination!