Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jevans12 <je...@harris.com> on 2007/06/18 21:27:07 UTC

Message Cursors

I am upgrading from 4.1.x to SNAPSHOT 5.x to take advantage of the file
backed pending queue feature in the latest code. btw props out to the
engineers for the refactoring the memory model. many thanks.
I was able to drop the 5.0 snapshot in w/o any headaches and get the FPQMSP
working. While Im running and testing I would like to see if I can get some
clarifications here in the forum on behaviors either im seeing now or
anticipate. Ive pasted my config below, the only change from 4.1 -> 5.0 is
the addition of the FPQMSP.

1) How does the pendingMessageLimitStrategy co-exist with
pendingQueuePolicy? per my config below
2) Am I spooling to disk as soon as 1 message is in the Pending queue?
3) are my temp data files deleted on removal of the subscription? or only on
start-up of server? im seeing the  latter
4) Does the pending queue data file grow and shrink along with the size of
the pending queue? I have a permanent subscription in the server that ebbs
and flows from a fast consumer to slow consumer.
5) Data file naming convention? is it always something like
"data-TopicSubscription-1"
6) my 4.1.x prefetch policy on my clients is set to 1 through my destination
name ?consumer.prefetchSize=1, but in jconsole now i see it changing......
does setting a low prefetch matter anymore since RAM is not an issue?(any
comments?)
7) Interstingly I turned off statistics but saw SOME stats being updated in
jconsole(ill try to nail someting down for a JIRA)

<bean id="brokerService"
		class="org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService" init-method="start"
		depends-on="connectionFactory" destroy-method="stop">
		<property name="persistent" value="false" />
		<property name="useJmx" value="true" />
		<property name="memoryManager">
			<bean class="org.apache.activemq.memory.UsageManager">
				<property name="limit" value="${broker.memory.limit}" />
				<!-- percentUsage is new???? -->
			</bean>
		</property>
		<property name="advisorySupport" value="false" />
		<property name="enableStatistics" value="true" />
		<property name="tmpDataDirectory"
			value="${broker.temp.data.directory}" />
		<property name="transportConnectorURIs">
			<list>
				<value>vm://localhost</value>
				<value>${broker.url}</value>
			</list>
		</property>
		<property name="destinationPolicy">
			<bean
				class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.PolicyMap">
				<property name="defaultEntry">
					<bean
						class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.PolicyEntry">
						<property name="subscriptionRecoveryPolicy">
							<bean

class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.NoSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy">
							</bean>
						</property>
						<property name="messageEvictionStrategy">
							<bean

class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.OldestMessageEvictionStrategy">
							</bean>
						</property>
						<property name="pendingMessageLimitStrategy">
							<bean

class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.ConstantPendingMessageLimitStrategy">
							</bean>
						</property>
						<property name="pendingQueuePolicy">
							<bean

class="org.apache.activemq.broker.region.policy.FilePendingQueueMessageStoragePolicy">
							</bean>
						</property>
						<property name="destination">
							<bean
								class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTopic">
								<property name="physicalName"
									value="client.>" />
							</bean>
						</property>