Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org> on 2009/03/05 19:33:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache port help

Hello, I am hosting my webpage on port 8080 so the address is
http://intranet:8080 and you have to type that to get to it. Well I
would just like it if my users just had to type http://intranet and
apache will do the rest. I have tried the Rewrite and Proxy but with no
luck. Could someone please help me out?

thanks

Tim Ford

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If you received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you should delete and destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies;
you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained in the e-mail.  Please notify the sender of the erroneous e-mail delivery by return e-mail.  Thank you for your cooperation.

RE: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by "Anthony J. Biacco" <ab...@formatdynamics.com>.
Stupid question..why not just run it on port 80?

-Tony
---------------------------
Manager, IT Operations
Format Dynamics, Inc.
303-573-1800x27
abiacco@formatdynamics.com
http://www.formatdynamics.com

Posted by "Anthony J. Biacco" <ab...@formatdynamics.com>.
Oh, and if you go the separate ip route, make sure you change IIS so
that it doesn't listen on all IPs, just the main one.

-Tony
---------------------------

Posted by Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 11:01 AM 3/5/2009, you wrote:
>Yes I have IIS running on port 80 hosting another webpage on the same
>server that apache is installed on.

Then you'd need to have your index.html or whatever your default page
for IIS is redirect to your port 8080 page.

ie

url=http://www.yourdomain.com:8080/index.html">

RE: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org>.
Yes I have IIS running on port 80 hosting another webpage on the same
server that apache is installed on.

Tim Ford

>Okay, the reason why its running on port 8080 is because I have another
>webpage running on 80 on the same server.

By 'another web page' I'm assuming you mean another webserver?

So you'd need to look at whatever that webserver is, and perhaps a
HTML page with a redirect to http://yourwebserver.com:8080 ...

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Peter Schober <pe...@univie.ac.at>.
* Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org> [2009-03-05 19:57]:
> Thanks, I have apache set to listen on port 8080. When I type
> http://intranet:8080 it works but I want my users to just type in
> http://intranet and apache converts it for them. Its either
> mod_rewrite or mod_proxy.

No. If your users don't specify any port (and just enter
http://intranet) their webbrowser connects to port 80, thereby
speaking directly with M$-IIS in your case. Your httpd on port 8080
never gets to see the request, hence there is nothing you can do with
mod_rewrite or mod_proxy in httpd.

You could proxy from M$-IIS to your httpd (if that's possible and you
know how), but that's not a question for this list.

Or maybe twist the ports around and let M$-IIS listen on a
non-standard port (like 8080) and httpd on port 80. *Then* configure
proxying of certain request to M$-IIS. But this would probably change
URLs for whatver M$-IIS was serving, so it all depends on what you
want and how much work you're willing to invest.

cheers,
-peter

--
peter.schober@univie.ac.at - vienna university computer center
Universitaetsstrasse 7, A-1010 Wien, Austria/Europe

RE: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org>.

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> >> This mailing list is hardly the appropriate place to discuss this.
> >>

> > See when Windows is mentioned - it's move on time!
> >

> > That is why I said start with PowerShell - like bash or what ever
> >
> > but for Windows Apache users and also learn about http.sys!
> >

> > Is tracking Apache processes allowed here?
> >

> This is mailing list dedicated to supporting end users. Development
> questions should be sent to dev@, or another medium.
>
> I can't venture to guess what you meant by "Tracking Apache processes".
> Care to explain?

Perhaps seeing what every thread inside Apache is doing at run time!

Perhaps setting up Apache!

Perhaps charting Apache usage!

Perhaps anything a user wants to do with or within Apache Windows!

Perhaps calling Apache APIs from the command line!

Or perhaps "tracking Apache processes"!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> > And it is easy to start learning http.sys via PowerShell - even tracking
> >
> > Apache via PowerShel (threads, sockets, processes and etc.). Then after
> >
> > seeing "non Unix" ways, not non HTTP ways, and how they work, well if
> >
> > one wants to move on to C++ / C okay but .NET makes it so much easier
> >
> > for the starter now! PowerShell is a .NET processe that can use http.sys.
> >

> Since you seem to know so much about that technology, why don't you
> contribute to apache, and write the draft for this new (and supposively)
> better MPM?
>
> This mailing list is hardly the appropriate place to discuss this.

See when Windows is mentioned - it's move on time!

That is why I said start with PowerShell - like bash or what ever

but for Windows Apache users and also learn about http.sys!

Is tracking Apache processes allowed here?

Windows Live™: Life without walls.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
Seems to me this whole rant got started because someone who appears to be
well indoctrinated in the M$ world thought that Apache was somehow a lesser
program because it did have a mechanism to support port sharing.  That is a
discussion for the developers thread and if you feel strongly about it, then
you can devote your time to push that concept.  As I see it, this is not a
new concept.  In the 2000's the buzz word is 'virtualization'....It depends
on the design goals of the program as to what concept needs to be pushed.
Sharing a port is yet another level of abstractions/indirection that most
likely can decrease performance.  (e.d. somthing M$ has not been overly
concerned about, just look at Vista).  There are also security issues
(something else  M$...well you get the picture).
Am glad the OP solved the issue.
-J

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Frank Gingras
<fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I am now almost fully convinced that we're feeding a troll. I suggest we
> leave him alone.

Yeh, I think you're probably right. Good call.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> > Perhap Apache on Windows needs updating?
>
> Perhap Apache on Windows needs to have patches offered. HTTP.SYS
> is an interesting technology and certainly fits the profile for
> an entirely separate MPM and core network stack, unrelated to the
> conventional httpd server. Several folks have kicked around the
> idea, but this is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. Until someone feels like
> doing to the work, it won't exist, and trolling doesn't encourage
> solutions in open source.

It had nothing to do with trolling - but explaining more than one process

on a port at the same time information - Apache can use it too!

> On that friendly note;

As for patches - it's more than that - it is a completely new project!

And it is easy to start learning http.sys via PowerShell - even tracking

Apache via PowerShel (threads, sockets, processes and etc.). Then after

seeing "non Unix" ways, not non HTTP ways, and how they work, well if

one wants to move on to C++ / C okay but .NET makes it so much easier

for the starter now! PowerShell is a .NET processe that can use http.sys.

So one can start right at the command line and see usage and objects

and properties and etc right now (of Apache and or of http.sys).  But all

this is not Apache On Windows Unix version software - just newer Windows

actions doing standard HTTP actions like IIS or any other http.sys user!

But the real question for ASF is - why write something that is already

there - one can change any part of IIS 7 (and up).  So why not just

start ASF IIS modules or what ever?   Still open source and usable.

Then perhaps move on to (if needed) to Apache http.sys MPM!

Just a question!

Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Flowering Weeds wrote:

> Perhap Apache on Windows needs updating?

Perhap Apache on Windows needs to have patches offered.  HTTP.SYS
is an interesting technology and certainly fits the profile for
an entirely separate MPM and core network stack, unrelated to the
conventional httpd server.  Several folks have kicked around the
idea, but this is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE.  Until someone feels like
doing to the work, it won't exist, and trolling doesn't encourage
solutions in open source.

On that friendly note; I happen to actually be deep inside of the
Windows (*socket based*) MPM, and the Apache 2.3-alpha MPM now
handles AcceptEx + Data (retrieving first packets optimization),
along with a better/more effective 'classic' solution for accept
based on WSAEventSelect().  It's already proven significantly
faster in my initial tests, although I'm not seeing any big win
from the change to accepting the initial data.  We'll see how
that evolves, there are still two more performance changes I'm
designing into those listen/accept threads.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 06.03.09 07:41, Tim Ford wrote:
> Hello, my boss told me its okay to leave the web address with the port attached.

You can still run it on different IP on the same host, but you must
configure IIS not to listen on that IP (and apache to listen on it).

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Tim Ford wrote:
> Hello, my boss told me its okay to leave the web address with the port attached.

Thank you.  At least now we won't die stupid.
Smart boss.
:-)

RE: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by Tim Ford <tf...@phmc.org>.
Hello, my boss told me its okay to leave the web address with the port attached.

Tim

________________________________

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
[...]

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Flowering Weeds
<fl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >Not at all true any more. Modern Windows OS (Windows XP
>> >and up ) systems allows (near 100) processes to use the same
>> >IP / Port at the same time.
>> >
>> >In fact, even the Windows admin's automation tool,
>> >powershell.exe, on the command line, can use the
>> >same port that other Windows processes use!
>> >
>> >Web Servers
>> >Web Services
>> >Databases
>> >Commamnd line processes
>> >
>> >All at the same time, on the same IP / Port!
>>
>> I think we're talking about two different things.
>>
>> You can't have say IIS and Apache listen on the same IP and the same port.
>>

> Sure one could if ASF followed modern Windows
> HTTP usage and used the http.sys object that
> all these other Windows processes use!

Naturally, we should all look to Windows and MS in general for
guidance on how to follow standards. That's how we end up with such
beautiful pieces of software as Internet Explorer 6 which has lead to
more web-developer suicides than anything else in history.

Not to start a flame war, but Microsoft has a long and rich history of
bastardizing specifications and standards, both out of ignorance and
deliberate attempts to build monopolies on technologies: HTML, CSS,
Javascript, and even a little HTTP (and lets not forget Silverlight,
and C#; while not technically violations of any specification, I think
the argument could certainly be made that they were built for the sake
of competing with existing standards). Opening up multiple services on
a single IP-address/port combination seems to me to go against some of
the key concepts of TCP and UDP. After all, that is what ports were
originally intended for: correspondence to a particular service.

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> >Not at all true any more. Modern Windows OS (Windows XP
> >and up ) systems allows (near 100) processes to use the same
> >IP / Port at the same time.
> >
> >In fact, even the Windows admin's automation tool,
> >powershell.exe, on the command line, can use the
> >same port that other Windows processes use!
> >
> >Web Servers
> >Web Services
> >Databases
> >Commamnd line processes
> >
> >All at the same time, on the same IP / Port!
>
> I think we're talking about two different things.
>
> You can't have say IIS and Apache listen on the same IP and the same port.

Sure one could if ASF followed modern Windows

HTTP usage and used the http.sys object that

all these other Windows processes use!

This one port only open way (here port 80, but can

be any port) is very useful for all newer Windows processes!

Also the ports can be any  HTTP, TCP, PIPES, MESSAGES

four protocols of sharing not just HTTP only usage!

This is also why IIS 7 Vista now serves all requests

too - http.sys cache usage - even when sharing with

other http.sys Windows processes!  Some say IIS 7

is what Apache was suppose to be - modules, core,

whatever - the freedom to write one's own modules

(In .NET or C++, etc.).  A lot has changed in this

modern WEB world.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.

Posted by Flowering Weeds <fl...@hotmail.com>.

> 4) but (of course there is one), there can only be one server (program)
> (like Apache) listening on any given port at any given time on the same
> host computer.

Not at all true any more.  Modern  Windows OS (Windows XP

and up ) systems allows (near 100) processes to use the same

IP / Port at the same time.

In fact, even the Windows admin's automation tool,

powershell.exe, on the command line, can use the

same port that other Windows processes use!

Web Servers

Web Services

Databases

Commamnd line processes

All at the same time, on the same IP / Port!

Just and FYI

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port help

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.