Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Pallavi Palleti <pa...@corp.aol.com> on 2009/05/27 10:34:58 UTC

HDFS is not responding after restart

Hi all,

  We have a cluster of 50 machines and we had to restart hadoop for some reason. When we restart, the jobtracker is up. I can see the ui showing everything perfectly fine. But the dfs ui is stuck. When I look into namenode logs, it says, it reached 0.990, safe mode would be turned off in 0 secs . But, even after waiting for 2 hours, I couldn't see it turned off. Looking into datanode logs, every datanode is verifying data blocks and reporting bad blocks to namenode. In most of the machines, verification is successful. But, it is still processing some blocks. The question is, any idea how long do we need to wait for this to be up? Also, hadoop dfs -report is also not responding. Any idea, what would be the issue? Will it be ok, if I forcibly switch off safemode?

Thanks in Advance,
Pallavi

RE: HDFS is not responding after restart

Posted by "Palleti, Pallavi" <pa...@corp.aol.com>.
Hi all,

The issue is, one of the machine which was deadnode (deadnode because, that machine wasn't accessible) was accessible and didn't have anything in the home directory. Essentially, hadoop installation directory was not present. The namenode didn't throw any issue but got stuck and didn't come up. There is no way from the logs, we could realize that this might be issue. Any idea, how to figure out such kind of issues?

Thanks
Pallavi

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Pallavi,

Can you use jstack on the NameNode and paste the results? You can find the
pid by running "jps" as the hadoop user. Also paste the last few lines of
the namenode log file.

Thanks
-Todd