Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2007/01/24 08:47:15 UTC

what are the rules directories

I have been using SA for more than 3 years now and I have a dumb
question

I am using SA 3.1.5 on Centos

AFAIK By default Spamassassin reads from /usr/share/spamassassin
and /etc/mail/spamassassin

But If I have /var/lib/spamassassin with some files in it SA is
apparently ignoring  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf

Is this so by design or have I misconfigured  something

Thanks
Ram

Re: what are the rules directories

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 07:18:45PM +0530, Ramprasad wrote:
> How do I make it use files on /usr/share/spamassassin too

Why would you need that?  If you have an update installed, that's the
directory you want to use.

> I just need a command line version to run lint

I'm not sure I understand your concern.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Why use Windows, since there is a door?

Re: what are the rules directories

Posted by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 09:46 -0500, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:17:15PM +0530, Ramprasad wrote:
> > But If I have /var/lib/spamassassin with some files in it SA is
> > apparently ignoring  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf
>
> Yes.  That's how updates work.

How do I make it use files on /usr/share/spamassassin too
I just need a command line version to run lint

Anyway I use Mailscanner which defines what directories to use for
scanning of mails, so that is not an issue

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 01:17:15PM +0530, Ramprasad wrote:
> But If I have /var/lib/spamassassin with some files in it SA is
> apparently ignoring  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf

Yes.  That's how updates work.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform." - Unknown

Re: what are the rules directories

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Ramprasad wrote:
> I have been using SA for more than 3 years now and I have a dumb
> question
>
> I am using SA 3.1.5 on Centos
>
> AFAIK By default Spamassassin reads from /usr/share/spamassassin
> and /etc/mail/spamassassin
>
> But If I have /var/lib/spamassassin with some files in it SA is
> apparently ignoring  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf
>
> Is this so by design or have I misconfigured  something

SA by default checks several directories and uses the first one it
finds. Which exact ones it uses depends a bit on the options provided at
configure time. Check your "default_rules_path" in SpamAssassin.pm to be
sure.

The pre-configure list looks like this:

@default_rules_path = (
  './rules',              # REMOVEFORINST
  '../rules',             # REMOVEFORINST
  '__local_state_dir__/__version__',
  '__def_rules_dir__',
  '__prefix__/share/spamassassin',
  '/usr/local/share/spamassassin',
  '/usr/share/spamassassin',
);

With the two "REMOVEFORINST" lines getting ripped out when you do "make install", and the __local_state_dir__, __def_rules_dir__, etc getting populated when you do the "perl Makefile.PL" bit.